Problem after green light laser surgery

Posted , 11 users are following.

I had green light laser surgery 2 months ago to correct an enlarged prostate. The surgery worked great but after 2 months I still have a problem with frequency and urgency. At times I can be 20 feet from the toilet and when the urge hits me I can barely make it. I was told this should get better after 2 or 3 months but after 2 months it seems worse.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

A lot depends on the condition of your bladder going into surgery, the worse it is the longer it takes to get it's condition back. Give it another month and hopefully you will start to see improvement!

• Posted

Feel for you brother. I have had same problem after holep bladder neck incision and urolift. Dr. put me on Betmiga pills for 4 weeks but only some improvement. Last week he injected botox into bladder. I am almost 10 weeks post. Urge settled alot, frequency comes and goes. I would ask for some meds. the barely making it to toilet is no way to live. It is a challenge. you are not alone

• Posted

Nick,

Could you elaborate a bit on the botox injection - what was the procedure like and did it help calm your bladder? What about your frequency/urgency issues now?

Tom

• Posted

hi Tom,

sorry for late reply, I am mostly well with good control of urges most of the timenand even got to the point where I stopped thinking about it. usually void every 4-5 hours with a record of 7 hours straight once.

HOWEVER I had a flare up last friday and its been hit and miss last few days. Feel like I've gone a bit backwards, going every 2 hours so far today and this hasn't happened for last 4 weeks. weird hopefully just a blip.

the botox is injected directly into bladder under general anaesthesia. it relaxes the bladder muscle so that its less overactive - doc also told me to keep taking meds (betmiga) for 3 months. i am about half way. i would say the botox helped alot but its not a miracle treatment!! as 90-95% of the time i feel normal.

just not sure why I'm getting the stronger urges last few days.

I will cut back on caffeine again as that's the only possible connection. I am approaching 4 months. think that last 10% of my recovery will take a bit longer.

• Posted

Bob,

I take Trospium and it helps. There are other similar medications that calm the bladder. Some may be covered by your insurance and others may not be covered. Check with your urologist. It does take time for the bladder to "calm down" after BPH surgery. I am 7 months post bipolar TURP and continue to improve slowly. You will have to give this some time, but definitely ask for medication for overactive bladder.

Tom

• Posted

hi, after TURP, my water intake increased, and even after 3 /4 months after cutting down on water intake the urgency took longer to recede..... but it did eventually, after 5/6 months no urgency and no night time trips to the w.c.!!! it was definitely a time issue, although this was not clarified at the time of the op...it really did take time to settle everything down.

• Posted

Urologists often have samples of meds that will slow down urgency or you can request a prescription.

• Posted

Hi Bob,

I had exactly the same as you, such an urgency that sometimes I could hardly make it before splattering the toilet furnishings. This I think only started in the 5th or 6th week and only lasted for about two weeks.

Im hoping that your condition will cease too, if not already.

I was told to strengthen the pelvic floor muscles vigorously after the op and I understood why when this urgency started.

Tony

• Posted

Hi, I had this surgery on July 2019 and since then I am having heavy incontinence. Move away from pampers due to heavy leaks during day and night. Now I am using condom catheter with urine bag till today.

I am very upset with the urologist as he did not tell me the risk of incontinence and now tells me they can promise me when it will stop after doing the urodynamic test. They requested me to wear pad but I prefer the catheter otherwise I will smell of urine and do feel wet around the area. Its almost six months with slight improvement. Kegal exercise not helping.

I am hoping for a complete reversal after 12 months.

• Posted

Why will it stop after the urodynamic test ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.