Problem after1st flight following long haul flight induced P/E

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all

I was diagnosed with a large saddle P/E in January 2015 after 2 x13 hr flights.  Now on warfarin for life but my INR has been very unstable.  Went on holiday 3 weeks ago which included 2 x 3 hr flights.  3 days after the outbound flight I started with a cough and chest infection as well as slight chest pain and SOB.  Now, almost 3 weeks later, things don't seem to be getting any better.  I can't get an appointment with my GP for 5 days, (thinking antibiotics maybe?), but I can't help worrying that I might have had another P/E.  I remember being told it was unheard of to have another P/E whilst on warfarin but I am sure I have read of people who have had it happen.  I do not have the DVT symptoms in the leg this time though.  My last blood test was 3 1/2 weeks ago and my INR was 3.3, (supposed to be 2.5).  I am due my next blood test in just under a week's time.  Just don't know what to think or do!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I had bi-lateral PE's in feb 2015 and my INR is only now beginning to stabilize. I have continued to have chest pain and heart palpitations since diagnoises and now and on tablets for that. sad

I am beginning to think the symptoms of PE's last longer than Dr's admit to.

It would be great if there was more information readily available for us.

• Posted

Hi there

Yes...I was told approx six months to get back to 'normal'/'full fitness' but I'm starting to despair of ever feeling truly ok again.  There is always the worrying niggly thought that the ache/twinge/cough etc is something more sinister!

• Posted

Hi I agree with your comment that doctors think PE symptoms only last a few months.  I may have mentioned before but my GP wrote I was "a rather anxious patient" to a Consultant when referring me for another issue when asking advice about coughing up blood and bleeding gums some months after diagnosis of the PEs!  I have not seen that GP again and will not, thankfully there is another decent GP in that practice.  I still have the cough, and now have had it over 3 years, 2 of these years are post PE, also occasional breathing problems, but have given up asking GP for advice.
    • Posted

Hi there

I too am concerned about being labelled a 'worrier' or a 'time-waster' which makes me feel very reluctant to seek help these days.  Since my initial diagnosis, 6 months ago, I have twice been referred to the acute assessment unit, once by my GP and once after making a call to 111.  Both times I was made to feel that I was being a nuisance and wasting their time.  So sorry to hear that you have had a cough for such a long time....I am now wondering if a lingering, persistent cough is another of those things they they don't warn you about!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.