Problem or not ?

Posted , 7 users are following.

My Hubby’s psa blood test was 1.4ug/L. His dr said it’s eithin normal ranges but he pees a lot. Dribbles a bit too and feels like his bladder doesn’t empty totally. He had a scan of his bladder and all was ok. Is this just irritable bladder. ? 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

1.4 is very good. Did they look at his prostate as well as bladder on the scan or do a digital rectal examination to check his prostate size and feel.
    • Posted

Is that how the prostate size is determined?  By a digital rectal exam?  I was under the impression that is what the cystoscopy is for.  Maybe I've been considering the wrong procedure. My doctor used the gloved finger check with me, told me; yes it was swollen and inflamed (when I had prostatitis) but said nothing about the total size of course.  By digital I'm sure you're not referring to the digits on his hand.wink

• Posted

Digital rectal exam is normally done with the forefinger.
    • Posted

I have found that GP's as well as Uro's are pretty good at knowing prostate size from the use of two fingers as well as its condition..

• Posted

Kim.  Thank you for taking the time to take care of your husband and ask questions..  It could be many things.  He's drinking to much spices food.  PSA is good and scan was good just tell him to relax.  If he feel that he is not emptying out his bladder tell him to take a hot shower before bed.  That will help.  Take care Ken 

• Posted

A DRE doesn't estimate prostate size. My uro did it, said 40cc = 40g, but the later ultrasound and then 3T-MP MRI both said 28cc = 28g. I said to uro how come you said 40 from DRE? He said oh, inaccurate guess.

Whereas psa is inaccurate for high psa (it may not be cancer), if it is low you are good. So he need not sorry about cancer. You did not say his age. An ultrasound (but you said he had a scan?) would be cheap and quick and show if bladder is emptying or if there is a pvr.

• Posted

Prostate might be pushing up on base of bladder where empty/full sensors are. Only cystoscopy can tell him that

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.