Problem with pain after hip surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello, I'm new to this forum.

I'm 7 weeks in after having a right total hip replacement. I was doing really well walking without aids, but 1 week ago I got lower back back and right bottom cheek and am struggling to walk. Its extremely painful and i think its muscle pain. I saw the surgeon last week and he said this is normal. I Feel really down and i'm worried its not going to improve. It just seems strange to me to go backwards with my recovery. please could i ask has anyone else experienced anything like this at all.

Thank you

Gillian

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Edited

Hi Gillian,

This is exactly what happened to me. From about 6-8 weeks after my op I had terrible back pain and also groin pain which made it difficult to walk. I was convinced there was a problem. The physiotherapist that the hospital had given me wasn't very good and just gave me the same exercises he gave everyone.

So I decided to pay for a physio and she told me that the reasons for this pain was that I'd spent years not walking properly, and so the muscles that support my back were very weak. Basically my back was doing all the work because my core and gluteus (bum and hip) and other muscles were so weak. What's probably happening is your body is re-adjusting now you can walk, and muscles that haven't properly been used for years are now straining. The body is a complex system so you can get pain in all sorts of places, if other muscles aren't working properly. This is normal after this op. The fact you're only noticing it now is probably because you're walking a bit more and therefore working more all these weak areas.

If you can afford it, find a good physio. If not, just make sure you exercise, but don't overdo it. You want a strong core, strong gluteus (bum) and surrounding muscles. Be patient, it took me months to recover (partly because I kept putting my back out and therefore had to stop exercising for a while).

Of course, if you feel it's more than that, go back to your doctor. But all I can say is that at 7 weeks you're only just beginning to recover. You'll have lots of niggles and small setbacks but you will get there! Some days will be better than others. Unfortunately it's a common perception that after 6 weeks you'll be 100% back to normal - that's rare in my experience.

Good luck!

• Edited

thank you so much James for your informative response. i think thats exactly whats happening. i was walking very strangely for ages before my surgery. yes at 7 weeks i was doing more so it makes sense what you are saying. the doctor says everything is where is should be and i just need to strengthen muscles. i had physio today and i have different exercises to do so will crack on with those. he also said try and walk as mi h as possible without aids

i wish i hadnt listened to people that said by 6 weeks all will be great. my mind is more prepared now for the ups and downs however frustrating it may be.

thank you.

ill let you know how i get on.

hope all is well with you and your recovery

• Edited

You're welcome and yes do let us know how you get on, as my issue was the same. Just remember you'll get all sorts of niggles cropping up all over the place out of the blue. As Barbara says below, it takes a long time for all those muscles to get back fully to normal. Especially if you spent years with a bad hip, meaning those muscles would have been in a pretty bad state when you had your op.

I agree it's annoying when people think you'll be 100% after 6 weeks. Think about it - it can take athletes months and months to recover from a small surgical op after an injury. And their muscles were perfect before they got injured. You've just had part of your leg sawn off!

• Posted

thank you James. your last bit made me laugh out loud lol. i think its having reassurance that all is well with your hip.

hopefully i will get this on wednesday when i see the consultant. ive always felt the new hip joint is too high, its hard to explain, but the x rays show all is good.

i definitely expected too much too soon.

anyway i will speak to the consultant on Wednesday and let you know.

Thank you.

• Edited

keep in mind you just went thru major surgery. your body has been thru a trauma and it takes time for the body to adjust and accept the implant components , and the brain to react to all the changes. the healing journey is different for everyone and has many different sets of challenges while the body is healing. major trauma to bone, ligaments, muscle and our psyche. pain should be under control with pain meds very important in order to heal. good diet and vitamins to aide the body in healing.

there's two terms of healing....short term is 6-10 weeks after surgery when you have a good heel to toe walk ,have no more restrictions and can basically drive , shop, walk without aides .

long term healing - the soft tissue damage and bone heal and the components are held in place by the body soft tissue and no pain is assumed. this long term healing takes from 12 months to 18 months. in the months of getting thru the surgery the days finally comes when you get thru the whole day without one thought of pain , surgery or any other thought but sheer joy . the day has finally met the expectations of hip joint replacement was worth all the hassle because there is no more hip pain with an improved life and better mobility .

• Edited

thank you barbara for your reply. yes i think i was too quick to think everything would go swimmingly without any problems.

my back pain is restricting me walking without aids but i try as much as i can in the house, and concentrate on the correct walking gait.

im taking each day as it comes now and hoping this back pain settles sooner rather than later.

thank you.

x

• Edited

i have a great deal sympathy for all your pain and please understand that when we go thru trauma and major surgery our whole body takes a hit. every muscle in your body had struggled to get up, walk , do this do that... its not easy . it does take a lot of courage to choose surgery and a huge toll on all our other joints. do what you can to help control the pain follow doctor's instructions and just rest . walking when your up to it. no matter what any of us do we can never rush healing.

in 6-8 weeks you will be walking with no aides and pain will subside.

8-12 months you'll forget all about it.

by the end of the first year you'll be glad you had surgery. you will have a better quality of life and increased mobility.

sending healing blessings your way.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.