Problem with Pancreas?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello, I am a silent reader of this great community but now I have some questions.

Something about me: I am male, 30, used to smoke around 9 years ago, i had alcohol but very few times in my entire life that was also way before, around 9 years ago. Not so active but never been obese, weight around 84KG but now 78KG. I do use stairs tho instead of lift.

From the past 3 months, I've experienced these sudden symptoms: bloating, gas, weird bowel movements, waking up in the middle of the night (after 4, 4.5 hours of sleep) without any reason, a little excess hunger (not so). Had stool test before which showed eggs of parasites. I tool vermox dose. I guess stools were fine that time and were not greasy of foul-smelling (or I didn't notice?).

Now as of today, I have weight loss of around 6 KG in past 3 months, I have greasy foul-smelling stool that float, they are usually not pale but have undigested food particles. I don't have diarrhea or constipation and the stool is normal.

Here is a list of number of pains I have felt across my abdomen:

1. Under rib cage (right side)

2. On side of rib cage (right side)

3. 3 Inches above belly button slightly to the right side

4. Pain inline with belly button, about 2 inches on the right side

5. Pain under left rib cage (this I have started noticing only recently)

The pain, on a scale is around 2 or 3 out of 10. It comes and goes and it's very random. Sometimes I will get it after a meal, sometimes even without having a meal. It's dull ache and usually lasts 1-2 minutes or so and it can happen in any of the spots mentioned above. I have also feel and listen to gas activity in my abdomen. No rushes for toilets tho.

My diet isn't great and I am afraid to eat like I used to now (cause of weight loss?).

I've had a number of tests as well:

Standard Ultrasound - Liver normal, nothing's wrong

Gallbladder - distended with multiple small polyps measuring 2-4mm. No sludge or stones, Normal in contour and wall thickness. (GI says it's normal)

Pancreas - Head and part of body visualized normally. No fluid in visualized part. Tail obstructed by bowel gas.

Everything else was normal.

Had a stool test recently which had Bacteria - Present, Fat droplets - Present and Undigested food - Present.

Had blood tests for H.Pylori - Negative. RBC WBC etc, all normal. Not anemic.

CPR was normal <3

Creatinine was normal as well.

Fasting blood sugar tested on 2 occasions: 101.7 and 94

Lipid profile test: normal

LFT was done 2 months ago and it was normal

My GI has asked me to do a SIBO test which I am going to do soon.

Now the question is: Is this a problem with pancreas as half of it was seen normal without any problem? I am dreading cancer of the pancreas. Maybe the other half which wasn't seen had problems?

Can fatty stools and weight loss be caused by IBS alone? 

What other tests should I ask the doctor?

(Sorry for the super long post)

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Have they checked for chrones or celiacs ? Just a thought 

Have you had an endoscopy to check for hiatus hernia

• Posted

Hi, thanks for your reply!

No, not yet. My GI says we'll take it step by step to rule out different condition. When I told him that I have suspicion about Crohn's, he said that's why he ordered a CPR test because that's an indicator of inflammation in the bowel. Mine was normal <3. Endoscopy is not yet done but I think it would be the next step.

Also, my pain doesn't radiate to the back. They stay in the front side of my abdomen. At the moment, I am really concerned about catching a PC..

• Posted

Is it possible that your pancreas is "under performing" so you are not getting enough enzymes released to digest your food when it gets down to the intestines?

It may also pay to have your Vitamin B12 and Folate levels checked.

I am not a medically trained person but I've had Pernicious Anaemia (a form of B12 deficiency) for more than 45 years.

I wish you well. 

• Posted

Hello! Thanks for ur kind reply.. I dont have any idea if it can under perform or not. Im just afraid it's nothing serious sad

Any other ideas people? What can I ask my doctor?

Help would be really appreciated! 

• Posted

Any idea guys? I'm just thinking about it again and again..suggest me a way. Which direction I should follow to make sure it's fine?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.