Problem with Sodium Cromoglicate eye drops.

Posted , 1 user is following.

I had my cataracts done over two years ago and have been happy with the results. For some months the vision on my right eye has been blurry. Ophthalmologist said it was caused by dryness and  a film over the eye and gave me HYLO Tears that have not helped. My GP looked at my eye on Friday and gave me a prescription for Sodium Cromoglicate Eye Drops. The leaflet says if symptoms do not improve within two days you should consult your doctor. The side effects include 'blurring of vision' but it also says that blurring can occur immediately after using the drops but side effects should wear off after a short time.

I did not notice any benefit from it after two day and since using it today the sight in that eye is quite a bit worse.

Do I stop using it or give it a few more days ?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Are the drops preservative free Derek?

Do you use heat pads on your eyes?  They help to unblock the Meibomian glands.  I either use a very hot face cloth on my eyes twice a day, ot a wheat bag that I heat up in the microwave.  I can feel the plugs melting.

I was prescribed Hyabak pres free lubricating drops by my Ophth.

• Posted

No they are not preservative free but the HYLO ones are as I asked for that at the eye clinic but did not think of that when seeing my GP. When prescribed drops after cataract surgery I eventually had to get the preservative free ones.

I use a hot face cloth when I remember. How long do you use it for?

When I had retinal screening in 2014 the one doing it said that one lens had condensation on it but the hospital said it had not though I don't remember which eye it was.

• Posted

https://patient.info/health/blepharitis-leaflet

This leaflet might help a little but it really needs updating 

I use the hot flannel until I can feel the plugs of oil 'melt'.  This is why the wheat bag is more effective because it stays warm/hot for longer.

The Consultatn I saw at Moorfields at first said I didn't have Blepharitis but then decided that I might have Posterior Bleph so told me to go through this regime, including massaging my eyelids.  He was much firmer than I am, plus of course, he could see what was happening when he did it!

He also gave me a precription for a new method of treating it, Azathioprin drops in each eye for a month.  From what I have read, the current method used by a lot of Ophths, is oral antibiotics for up to 3 months.

When I subsequently went to Specsavers, the Optometrist told me i had Grade 4 Meibomian Gland Dysfunction, which required oral antibiotics.  So I told my GP what my Moorfields Consultant had said 9 months ago & GP gave me a repeat of the prescription [it was in my notes anyway]

Going back to all eye drops, it was an Ophth Consultant in about 1980 who told me never to have drops with preservatives in them because of the problems that the preservatives cause.  Pres free drops until fairly recently, were extremely expensive.  Most of them were the Minims brand but now there are others & Moorfields has its own generic brand.

• Posted

It does not look like Blepharitis and consultant and GP did not diagnose that.

I will need to get into the hot flannel routine as I keep forgetting to do it. There seems only to be one preservative free version of Sodium Cromoglicate eye drops in BNF and they come from Ireland. I did not use them yesterday or today and the eye is a not as bad as on Monday. 

Azathioprine is an Immunosuppressive drug and the BNF shows tablets only.

• Posted

Sorry, Azithromycin eye drops

I wasn't able to take Azathioprine but know what it is.

• Posted

Went back to my GP again today and he gave me a prescription for Carmize. If it does not clear up in two weks he will get my next hospital appointment brought forward.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.