Problems 11 years after total tyroidectomy

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had my thyroid removed in 2006 due to toxic multi nodular goiter.  There have been ups and downs over the years but in January 2017 I woke up with a horrid headache, my entire body ached, I notices weight gain and I could not function normally due to exhaustion.  My labs indicated I had gone hypo, so my synthroid was increased from 175 mcgs to 200 mcgs by my GP. Between 01/26/17 to 02/14/17 my resting heart rate jumped from 64 bpm to 111 bpm.  On 02/14/17 the endocrinologist added 5 mg of cytomel and another drug for weight loss.  Now I am severely hyperthyroid ( since March 2017,) off all new meds. given and have gained 30 lbs.

01/26/17 TSH 5.56, 03/31/17 TSH .08, 04/05/17 TSH .17, 06/14/17 TSH .24 and 08/08/17 TSH .12.   There have been NO changes to meds since 03/31/17.  I am suffering from anxiety and depression, but have been for over 5 years (no changes to those meds in over a year.)   HELP!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I had my thyroid removed totally in 2012 as well as having a parathyroid adenoma removed at the same time.

My thyroid levels seem to need adjusted now and again as I have gone either hyper or hypothyroid every so often.  I have learned to tweak my meds only the tiniest bits, so while I was taking 125mcg of thyroxine 5 days a week and 150mcg 2 days a week and went hyper on that, I have adjusted it (with dr approval) to 125mcg 6 days a week and 150 only once a week.  I know from past experience that 125 daily will make me hypo eventually, so I figure that either this will work or I may need to even just have 150 once a fortnight.  

Good luck with getting your problems solved, but I would be seeing an endocrinologist again if I was you.

• Posted

Cythia,

?There are a couple of factors here.  First, your jump in resting heart rate could have been due to adrenaline because being hypothyroid affects your adrenal glands and their ability to produce cortisol which helps you deal with stress. Second, being hypothyroid can cause both anxiety and depression.  Third, stress and many mediations can temporarily reduce T4 to T3 conversion.  Also, T4 can be stored in fat cells.

?My point is that you may not have been hyperthyroid even with repeatedly suppressed TSH levels (0.08-0.24) because of the high T4 in your plasma.  D1 and D2 enzymes are regulated differently and function in different tissues so it's also possible for your to have some deficient tissues and an abundance of T4 in your blood.

?What were your T3 levels and what about temperature and other symptoms?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.