Problems 17 years after patellar realignment to both knees

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I suffered multiple dislocations to both knees from the age of 12 and had cartilege surgeries to both knees before eventually having realignment surgeries at 17 and 18 (the type that leaves you with very attractive 8 inch scars on both knees). I've suffered intermittent pain ever since that has become much worse in the last 6 months. Both knees crunch, swell and lock. The pain extends in to my calf muscle and up to my hips. It's bothering me. Does anyone know whether these surgeries have a 'shelf life' please? Thanks

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

You have had a lot of bad luck . .but the answer to your problem has to come from an orthopaedic surgeon . .looks as if you need mri's on both knees. . Hope they can sort you out with the minimum of invasive procedures!
    • Posted

I'm on the long waiting list for the MRI. I'm just wondering if there are any common issues that can occur. I am sending myself a bit batty with all the "what if"s as I'm still only 35 and would like to wear my stillettos 😃
  • Posted

I also had a patella realignment 14 years ago (TTT).  Over time, the pain returned with knee crunch and swelling which led to difficult and painful walking.  I was told my last resort was a tkr which I had done 7 weeks ago.  Very tough going but no arthritic pain only surgical pain and a lot of hard work ahead to be able to walk and bend my knee normally, but I know it's going to be worth it.  Speak to your Consultant and get advice as you can't keep going the way you are. Good luck.
    • Posted

Holly Molly. That's my worst nightmare and the reason I've soldiered on and kept away from the doctors these last few years. think I need wine.
    • Posted

.............I'm also a lot older than you, 64!  So there may be new options out there for you.  
    • Posted

You're right. I'm sure it won't come to that. Hope not anyway. I've got a beautiful horse that I can't ride. Thanks for your help
    • Posted

One of the things that I hate about my knee probems.. that I'll never ride a horse again.  Probably wouldn't have anyway at my age, but the certainty that I can't do it again is sad!  Hope you sort your problems out and get to ride your beautiful horse again!  It's the most wonderful feeling. . . . . 
  • Posted

Not giving negative advice. But I had realignment issues to.

And I needed to have a partial knee. But it locks up. I am a bit over s month and doing fair. Trouble bending and straightening. But it's worth it.

Good lucks lots I'be and elivate.

• Posted

I also had multiple dislocation of both knees from the age of 12, I m now 64.

I had left knee pinned at age 20 and right knee patella removed at age 24. (Or it could have been the other way round, so long ago I cannot remember)

I had total replacement of left knee nearly 3 years ago and it is now fine.

Sarah

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.