Problems AFTER Falling Asleep?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone.  I’m not sure if this question is very general or very complex, but here it goes.  I’ve been trying to get treatment for sleep issues for a few years now and I seem to have such an unusual issue that doctors don’t know how to go about it.  In addition, insurance companies typically do not want to do a sleep study, which makes it even more difficult.  I recently got a new insurance provider with where I work, so I plan to try that avenue again but thought I’d reach out to see if there’s perhaps anyone in my shoes as well. 

My issue is not necessarily insomnia but what happens AFTER I fall asleep.  I typically start the dreaming process very early, and once I’m completely asleep I am dreaming non-stop.  I frequently wake up, and each time, I’m exhausted – and I can recall vivid details about multiple dreams I’ve had.  This goes on throughout the night, and by the time I’m awake for the day, I can sometimes recall up to a dozen details about various dreams.  In between waking, I am often completely out of it, hungry, and will eat something and go back to bed.  I will often be reminded of something I consumed during the night only by the wrappers or what’s left over. 

What happens is when I fall asleep, I begin to dream and it’s almost as if I have an awake life and an asleep life.  I am often running, fighting, struggling, or doing something random in my dreams.  I’ve recorded my sleep and I move ALL the time – I’m constantly moving my legs, arms, and even sometimes appear to be speaking.  I tend to bend my knees and move my legs front right to left in that manner each night, regardless of how I sleep (back, stomach, etc). 

Sometimes I awake and feel like I was partially awake for some of the dreams, but that goes beyond the issue really.  Aside from being exhausted enough to not be able to drive, my eyes are bloodshot, I’m hot, thirsty, and get frequent headaches.  I obviously feel like going right back to sleep, but I only endure the same thing again.  This has been going on for at least five years.  The only good thing is I usually wake up pretty quickly and can function like a normal adult, though a little sluggish sometimes.

Recently, I was diagnosed with thyroid problems and oddly enough I became quite an insomniac off and on.  What’s crazy is I’ve learned I feel better on my “insomnia nights” than I do when I sleep because of what I do in my sleep!  The most recent development is I’ve been prescribed a sleeping medication, Ambian, but I’ve not taken it yet because it almost seems as if that would cause essentially what I am trying to avoid…DEEP sleep.  The more tired I am, the worse the symptoms.  Caffeine has actually helped a little bit, off and on, as I don’t seem to sleep “as deep”.  Has anyone heard of this?  Someone online suggested Periodic Limb Movement Disorder (PLMD) to me, but obviously a sleep study is where I need to go from here if I can get my insurance to do one!

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Take medicine for your thyroid and avoid stimulants. You are just dreaming and from what I read here, it is the anxiety talking. 
  • Posted

huh?  So all of this is caused by anxiety you think?   lol
    • Posted

Do you do drugs? Why the lol? I am trying to help but you seem to think you are different. Either you are not telling us everything or it is the anxiety.
    • Posted

Janet - Definitely going to try my luck with a sleep study.  

Andy... I actually just think you are different.  Anxiety has never been brought up by any of the doctors because it's not really an issue that I have.... and as far as the drugs, I've truthfully never done a drug in my life.  I guess restless leg syndrome would also be a form of anxiety, correct? 

I don't feel your comments are even worth responding to anymore, so I'll leave it at that.  I was just hoping to put a feeler out there to see if anyone had dealt with such a thing.  I can find people with similar problems when searching Google but I never see the route they went for relief.  

• Posted

I suggest you try asking for professional help. They might be able to specifically help you out. 
  • Posted

Hi Jay, i have had the same problem for 9 months now. Has anything helped?

• Posted

I can honestly say, no.. the doctors really never were able to figure it out. The only thing that I've gathered is given I'm hyperactive during the day, it's not a surprise I'm hyperactive at night as well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.