Problems after gallbladder surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone,my husband had gb surgery one month ago and has had pain in the bottom of his stomach ever since. The surgery went fine with no complications. Why the pain???

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hard to isolate? depends on what sort of Pain? does he have a fever..Pain is always a sign something is wrong>>>  Go to your GP.
  • Posted

Hi Wilma,

Is the pain, gas trapped?  That's what I had and that is painfully.

Gail

• Posted

Yes Gail of course its wind/Colic ..Wilma take a small peppermint cocktail with Co2 or Mint Tea..this will help!
    • Posted

Thanks Dawn. I love everyone's help on this channel. I learn more here than asking a doctor for answers. And I love how Gas( in the States) is politely called Wind ( in the UK). Almost sounds peaceful...ha

Thanks for all the help everyone

Gail

• Posted

Hi Wilma,

Cramp like pain is not serious and is more likely to be due to gas and bloating. It is common to have digestive difficulties after GB surgery.

The main reason is usually a difficulty in handling fats in the diet. Fat and certain fat-soluble vitamins require bile in order to be absorbed. The change in intestinal bile concentration during high-fat intake may cause diarrhoea or bloating, because excess fat in the intestine will draw more water into the intestine, because bacteria digest the fat and produce gas.

Begin with clear liquids, once passing gas progress to full liquids (milk based, soups, pudding, etc.). You may then advance slowly to a regular diet as tolerated. Eat low fat diet with smaller amounts of multiple meals throughout the day. You can reintroduce all other foods slowly and a little at a time. Remember, the key is to eat what YOU can tolerate.

Try taking a cup of boiling water and adding a tbsp of cinnamon. Add a bit of honey to help the flavour. It will help your husband to soothe the stomach.

Alex.

• Posted

Hi Alex, thanks for the reply. He has been taking Aleve to ease the pain for now, he has a dr appt next week to find the results of his ct scan. We'll go from there. Thanks to evry1 for the replies. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.