Problems after tapering off high dose - want to talk to others who have done so

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello 😃 I was put on Amitriptyline by my Doctor about 6 years ago for insomnia. I took 250mg a day. Over the past 6 months I managed to taper down and have been off the medication completely for about 6 weeks. I am experiencing terrible side effects, specifically severe depression and fatigue. I'm wanting to connect with others who have managed to get off a high dose. Thanks.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello

You were on a very high dose at 250mg a day and I wonder if that was a mistype? However, if not and you took your time tapering off it properly 6 weeks may not yet be enough time for your Brain Chemistry and CNS to adjust to life without this medication. What you are experiencing sound like withdrawal symptoms which can take some time to settle down. I suggest that you go and see your GP to discuss this. He/She may have had other patients who take time to adjust and may be able to offer some helpful suggestions. Amitriptyline is first and foremost an anti-depressant but has other off label uses such as help with sleep or pain. In your case perhaps you needed to taper down very slowly with more time in between dosage drops to stabilise. If this is not done withdrawal symptoms can last unnecessarily long. Please see your GP.

• Posted

250mgs is usually given for depression/ anxiety and it would also help sleep. Did you have depression as well as insomnia? If you did, coming off this dose is very likely to allow the depression or anxiety to return. You took 6 months to reduce the dose but perhaps it needed to be done over a much longer period. You definitely need to discuss it with your GP.

• Posted

hi,

i was on 250mg for 15 years and taken me over a year to taper down to 50mg. still havn't managed to rid myself of this horrible drug and you're doing great.

Think you've rushed it and agree that you have perhaps tried to stop too quickly and need to see Gp.

However everyone is different and think that the it's a lot of mind over matter and if you give yourself enough tools to help yourself then it's all relative.

Have you tried mindfullness, CBT ETC?

Can only help and found a few apps to be very helpful. Knowledge is king!

Calm, Curable & Pathways were all very helpful apps but if you are not happy in life then anything is a struggle.

Wish you all the best and you really have done amazing to get to where you've got to.

keep us posted and sending love.

Edward

• Posted

This is the first time I heard of 250mg dose of amirtrptyline . I never saw it in any prescription book of depression or insomnia . I learnt high dose of it leads to tardiv dyskinesia. But having successfully gone down to 50 mg is OK since you can manage it . But I encourage you to do a lot of exercises . It'll greatly help you to get it off .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.