Problems at work need help

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have rheumatiod arthritis . Diagnosed in 2000 . I work as a receptionist 

in a vet pratice . A and have worked there for 14 years . I'm doing really well at the moment with my arthritis . But having problems at work with my line manager . She complaining I don't carry heavy cats out back to the hospital . And large dogs on leads if they pull . She is complaining to the area manager that at home I do gardening housework etc . I feel I'm beinging badly treated as never had a problem with anyone else in 14 years . Has any one had the same sort of problem . As would like to know the out come . I'm thinking of putting in a complaint to The HR Department . 

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Make the HR department aware of your condition. I can't speak for the UK, but in the US they must, by law, make reasonable accommodations for you [which would mean you wouldn't lift anything weighing X pounds].

BTW - in the vet's offices here in the US, the receptionist never leaves the desk. Instead, the Vet Techs or Groomers or other staff bring the animals to the exam rooms.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply . HR are aware of my condition , but not of the problems I'm having . I'm signed off sick at the moment with the stress it's causing me . But once back will let them know . Thank you for your help .
  • Posted

Go to the union or join the union. Really, this is disgusting. The union can help. 

Request  a meeting where you can have a third party present. Make sure minutes are taken as thee are a legal document and ask the line manager to attend. At the meeting establish the question and ask if it is the case that she is asking you to do thee things at work. Once it is minuted, it is recorded legally. You can ask HR to set up the meeting and you are entitled not to be bullied at work.

• Posted

Thank you so much Iyy . We don't have a a union . That's a good idea . For someone to take minutes . I appreciate your advice . Can't believe how nasty people can be . I've been into on crutches in the passed . Never used arthritis to get out of doing anything . I've lifted heavy cats etc and paid the price after . So don't really understand . I think she is trying to get me out on grounds I can't do my job . Some one else has moved branches because of her . 
    • Posted

If you have hr department speak to them or someone who is above her on site, if in the uk investigate grievance procedures on goodle, IF she attempts to bully you into doing it, for now, clearly note everything thing she says including her tone of voice and any responses you make.  For now explain AND email cc'ing to her manager or hr that due to your medical condition you cannot lift above X weight and cannot be pulled around.  Take time to relax and get your stress levels down, get a consultant or doctors note, in the uk you can get a type of sick note that specifies what you can and can't do, get back to work AFTER sending this information to them. Then if she mentions it again say "I have a medical condition that you are aware of, if you would like to discuss this then please arrange an appropriate time and place, I would request another member of staff present, who is suitably informed of employment laws" then refuse to communicate further on the issue.  Unfortunately I was not aware of these laws nor was my union very helpful at all, had I known the laws and procedures I'd be very content at taking them to court good luck xx
    • Posted

Thank you Jenny . I am in the uk .ive already been signed off sick by my GP . For stress.   I'm thinking of asking the branch vet , who's practice it is to have a meeting with me on my return . And what the lady that moved branches because she couldn't take the bullying  any more . I also suffer from depression . This has also been made 100 % worst over the months of all this happening . I really aprechate all your help . Thank you . 
  • Posted

People who don't have RA simply DONOT understand that we have limitations. Discussion with them on UR RA adding UR limitations & that they r always changing. Especially with hands strength is the hardest struggle. Using carts or dog kennels on wheels could be added to assist u and make it possible for u to do more things. Than try to wrangle a big strong dog by a leash which can cause more damage to UR hands nd fingers.

A discussion is necessary for UR own sake as stress can make RA worse. 

I have had Ra for many years have had to adapt to doing most things differently too.

good Luck

• Posted

Thanks 6hope4 cure. I have come across lots of people that comment on arthritis . But they don't have a clue . In the meeting I had last week . When my line manager was saying all those things to me . I did say they need to go and look up rheumatoid arthritis . I heard last night she has been complaing to the area manager for months about it . No one has approached me . They are only making these complaint 's now because I reported my feeling's to the head vet . And this is what she is coming back with . I didn't mention some one else moved branch . Because of her . Making her feel like she can't do her job . Obv it's my turn now . And as I've worked there so long . I think she's trying to get me out . So is using my health . 
  • Posted

Thank you every one for all your help and advice . I don't feel so alone now . And fill more able to fight them over this   
  • Posted

Hi Anne, some people are thoroughly unpleasant aren't they?  The Vets should understand your condition because dogs can also suffer from RA can't they?  The Line Manager obviously knows nothing about animals!  How long has she been working there?  And, is she spying on you at home?  She sounds very nasty

I have just been looking at Industrial Tribunals.  It says that you should contact ACAS first.  Perhaps they can advise you.  Or Citizens Advice.  Are you in the UK?

Good Luck Anne!

• Posted

If it was me, BEFORE I went back to work, I would make an appointment to talk to the vet. Keep it short and to the point and don't bring up unnecessary stuff. While I completely understand about depression, this is an area that no one at the animal hospital will be able to address.....therefore the focus needs to be on the RA. The veterinarian will understand RA, though it wouldn't hurt to bring to the meeting a print out of what RA is, so that he can give it to the non-medical staff to read. Your meeting with him should simply go like this:

1.  I love working here and want to remain here

2.  I have a chronic autoimmune disease that restricts my mobility and therefore am not able to lift/carry anything over X-pounds.

3. I understand that the non-medical staff may not understand that while I LOOK normal, I do have a debilitating disease. [I've brought a printout that describes my disease that you might want them to read.]

4.  I need your help in creating a work environment that will allow me to continue my work.

5.  To that end, I'd like to suggest that [vet techs] who normally weight the pet and take vitals before you go into the exam room, come to the lobby and transport the pet to the exam room. This will give them a few added minutes to do a quick assessment of the pet's orientation.

6.  I lov emy work and want to continue here. May I have your assurance that some steps will be taken to accommodate my disability?

I wouldn't bring up the staff member who's made life miserable. If you do, then it sounds like whining and that's not what they want to hear.

I "get" that this staff member is the problem. I think that this solution should be tried first. By removing her "complaint" you take away her power. If she is just a miserable soul who thrives on finding fault and bullying, then you can deal with it later.

• Posted

Thanks again Lynn I take on board your advice . I found it very helpful.
  • Posted

I'm glad. If  you look at it from an employer's standpoint, they want to keep good employees and will usually move mountains to keep them. It costs too much time and money to lose one, hire another, train the new one.......

Please note that I'm not excusing the bad behavior of the line manager. In fact, I certainly wouldn't want to deal with her on a regular basis. But I think that if you talk to the vet and create awareness and an openness about what your limitations are, AND if he decides to educate the staff in how to deal with people with disabilities, I think he'll have done a great thing. I also think that vets are empathic and "get" it. Now assuming it goes forth like that, the line manager is going to have to "get with the program" - or be a disgruntled employee. If she starts acting out, then it's time for a second meeting with HR to discuss her actions and, as we call it here in the US, "creating a hostile work environment."

Again, I don't know the labor laws in the UK......but I can't imagine they're much different.

Good luck.

Lynn

PS  You might also consider if there are some other desk jobs you could take on while someone else carries pets to the back.

• Posted

I'm glad. If  you look at it from an employer's standpoint, they want to keep good employees and will usually move mountains to keep them. It costs too much time and money to lose one, hire another, train the new one.......

Please note that I'm not excusing the bad behavior of the line manager. In fact, I certainly wouldn't want to deal with her on a regular basis. But I think that if you talk to the vet and create awareness and an openness about what your limitations are, AND if he decides to educate the staff in how to deal with people with disabilities, I think he'll have done a great thing. I also think that vets are empathic and "get" it. Now assuming it goes forth like that, the line manager is going to have to "get with the program" - or be a disgruntled employee. If she starts acting out, then it's time for a second meeting with HR to discuss her actions and, as we call it here in the US, "creating a hostile work environment."

Again, I don't know the labor laws in the UK......but I can't imagine they're much different.

Good luck.

Lynn

PS  You might also consider if there are some other desk jobs you could take on while someone else carries pets to the back.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.