Problems obtaining phleb results

Posted , 6 users are following.

Most people on here seem to get fairly in depth results after their phlebs.When I asked yesterday after my fifth phleb I was told that they can't justify the cost of giving me TS% every time and the ferritin level I was given was from 2 phlebs ago.As for getting anything in writing,forget it.Is there another way of getting this information,perhaps from the consultant's secretary?   

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

That sounds ridiculous! I was at Basildon hospital for a year of weekly phlebs. With each one they took a blood test, so the following week I had my latest levels. I thought that was how it worked everywhere. I would just say that other people you know or have heard about, ie me, had weekly tests...so why can't I? Can't imagine cost should be a good enough reason. Hassle them a bit. What is your latest ferritin level? To be honest if it's very very high, then it might make sense not to test you every week, as it's going to only come down bit by bit. Now that I think back when mine was 2000, I think they tested me after every three initially..it was only at a 1000 or so they did it every week. Perhaps that's the same for you.

Cheers. Mike.

• Posted

I tried saying that everyone else gets them but she said she has been doing it 14 years and it isn't done that way at Rochdale Infimary.My first v/s was in Mancheser and my SF was 1487.I got more comprehensive results from there but they took a few weeks to come.The last level I have been told was 760,but I'm not sure if that is after 3 or 4 as they were vague.

• Posted

I personally, have to get my results after a lab visit. They don't test the phlebs. I would ask for labs on day of the phleb.

• Posted

I do phleb every two weeks and labs once a month.  I can go on line and get the results from the labs in 24 hours on a patient web site hospital has set up.
  • Posted

I prefer to be tested a few days before my venesection so that I know what my levels are before.  That is, what the levels have increased to by the time my venesection is due.  It is a truer reading.

When I was seeing my haemotologist at the hospital, I could ask the phlebotomists to take samples on the first draw of my venesection, but now I see the haemotologist privately, I now go to a commercial pathologist (who still bulk bills).  Besides, now, I do like to know before my venesection what my results are.  So I have to phone my haemotologist and convince his nurse to tell me what they are.  If they are reluctant, I tell them to phone the haemotologist who had given me permission to do this.

Some nurses don't believe that patients should have this information!!

But we are talking about different countries here too.  Calling them phlebs sounds like you are in the US, UK calls them venesections, as do Australians.

However, I have found it differs for different people.  We have to be more assertive, not just with the nurses (who may  be following archaic rules), but with the haemotologists and perhaps get written permission from them to get these tests and information.

• Posted

It should be my usual nurse next time.I've not seen this one before.I'll try again with her.

• Posted

Hi Eric

Sorry to here of your plight, if the hospital will not give you any results

Have you tried asking you gp to request frequent updates????

I am assuming you are from England you have a right to see your records

I am luck in the fact queen Elizabeth hospital Birmingham England

Do something call my health and once I registered, I get to see all my

Results from venesections, and any letters about me,and previous treatments.

Good luck mate

Philx

• Posted

Yes,that's an idea.I'll try my GP as I don't see the consultant for a bit.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.