Problems post surgery

Posted , 7 users are following.

hi all, I had open surgery 5 weeks ago and thought I was progressing ok, however, I have been experiencing epigastric pain, reflux, wind, diarrhoea and extreme bloating. My kidneys are also tender. My GP is sending me for another ultrasound to investigate. I was just wondering whether anyone else has experienced anything like this post surgery?

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Yes, diarrhea and bloating increased after my surgery. I had acid reflux befor I had surgery. What meds are you on?
    • Posted

Hi, I still have reflux and am on nexium for that. My pain is from breastbone almost to my belly button. Hoping it's just temporary but relieved that I am getting checked out in case it's something else.
  • Posted

I have noticed that post surgery, I have a tendency to have looser stools and that "I gotta go, now" feeling. Have felt a little bloated, but other than that, I've been pretty lucky.
  • Posted

It took me 2 months to get rid of most of these symptoms and longer to be completely pain free.  The bloating persisted during this time along with pain below my ribs and in the stomach area.  Good luck, hopefully it is a matter of time.
  • Posted

Thanks for your replies all! Hopefully it's just part of the recovery process! 😉
  • Posted

Hi babzranga three years post GB removal still have bloating increased weight and chronic diaorrea ask your gp for bile binders such as Colesevlam i hope that it gets better for youvxxx
  • Posted

Hi Babzranga

A lot of people get these symptoms after the operation. In most it settles down over time. Please try milk thistle as it's brilliant for all your symptoms and completely natural too. The liver is the root cause of all these problems including gallbladder problems. Excess estrogen in the body can't be processed by the liver and the bile becomes thicker and more sluggish and causes gallbladder issues as well as digestive issues and hormonal issues as in ovarian cysts, fibroids irregular periods. Milk thistle detoxes the liver and helps it to work more efficiently which in turn helps the digestive system and hormonal issues. I have been taking it for a month now and no more indigestion or reflux or burning. It's worth trying and can also help diarrhea. It's a must for those without a gallbladder. Also psyllium husk and caltrate calcium for the diarrhea. Hope this helps. X

• Posted

Hi Acejohnston !

I'm so glad to hear you not getting nasty symptoms anymore. I haven't tried the milk thistle to be honest because of fear that might make my symptoms of reflux worse.  I've read that this milk increases the production of bile So I feel a bit unsure but if you say your reflux improved I might still try. I think I might got an inflammation in my esophagus because the intense pain I feel in the chest and radiates to the back. Do you know anything else natural that could help with this? I've read that slippery elm in powder might help. I still take sucralfate to coat stomach but I still get a lot of pain and burning. How scary and unsure my life is at the moment but still have to carry on not knowing yet if I ever going to feel better. 

• Posted

Hi Leni I'm so sorry your still suffering. I find the milk thistle great and would recommend it. 2 weeks ago I got terrible pains in my ovary for about an hour. I nearly collapsed with the pain. After it stopped I've had contraction like period pain on and off. Had a scan last Thursday and it looks like I had a partial ovarian cyst rupture. The nausea and vomiting have stopped and I now believe that most of my symptoms were actually from the cyst. I actually didn't start vomiting until 8 weeks after the operation and that's when the nausea started too. All my symptoms now point to the cyst being the cause of a lot of my problems. I have had breast tenderness for months and have been getting a period every 20 days. I believe the milk thistle helped this to rupture as it balanced the hormones too. I'm still in pain but the cyst is 2cm now and was 7.5cm. I think once it's gone I'll be a lot better. I am so upset that this wasn't picked up on at all even though I did see a gynaecologist in March and he said it was very big but was too risky to operate due to my history. Not one doctor thought this could be my problem even though the nurses actually said to me they thought it was making me sick. Are you getting bile refluxing into your mouth? Can you taste it? X
    • Posted

No I can't feel it in my mouth. What I feel is a lot of pain like spasms on my chest in different locations but especially my right side and my back. The pain I feel all day but when I eat it's even more noticeable. It hurts when I swallow too in the middle of my chest. My reflux symptoms are severe and nothing is helping with the pain. I'm getting really scared that it will cause something worse in my esophagus like a stricture and not be able to swallow. I still didn't see another spevialist, it takes time but I hope someone can send for some more tests. It's becoming unbearable this reflux.  I'm only hoping they can find a cause too for this severe symptoms like bile flow or something but it takes months just to see a doctor. Meantime I'm suffering.

I'm glad that found the cause of your symptoms. Maybe now you can finally start enjoying life more. 

• Posted

That is terrible Leni. Have you tried any of the bile binders? Marshmallow root and licorice root might help you. I'm taking Chinese herbs with licorice ginger and other stuff in them too and I've found they help. At this stage try whatever you can. Would you try Chinese medicine? My acupuncturist recommended the milk thistle for me. It's worth a try too. I really hope something works for you soon but if it was me I'd try the alternative road while waiting to see the doctors. It can do you no harm. I have heard of people suffering terrible after this operation for a long time and then all of a sudden get better. I hope that will be you soon. Take care Leni. X
    • Posted

No I haven't tried bile binders only denoltab which also deals with bile too but caused me severe constipation so don't take it anymore. I have tried a few natural things like teas which help a bit, magnesium and rhodiola rosea which I read It could help with bile reflux but I still feel a lot of pain. I start to believe that to have such severe symptoms there must be something wrong with my bile flow going up instead only down.  I want to feel better I'm so sick of feeling this way and very very worried about other stuff it could be causing to my body. I have also nausea sometimes and burning on and off in my stomach. If I could I would have done tests to myself by now, a scan or something.  Thank you for your support all this time. Take care too x
    • Posted

Have you looked at symptoms of sphincter of oddi? Could that be your problem. Ah Leni I'm so sorry your suffering. I still don't feel great but am better than what I was and am hoping when this cyst goes I'll feel a lot better. It's so unfair that your suffering all this time and they are doing nothing for you. I still regret having the operation and wish I had of tried the alternative road first. However I do realise that the problem for me was that stone was so big it would never pass and it was probably inevitable I would have gotten bad inflammation from it even though that surgeon did say my gallbladder was inflamed. I've become so skeptical of the medical profession now because of this. I don't think I'll ever be the same again. I'm hoping I'm wrong but can't help feeling this way. I keep thinking why did I have the operation and it's driving me mad. I have to try and accept it is what it is and there's nothing I can do about it now. The only thing is that my surgeon is a man of integraty and felt he was doing the right thing. Please god you feel better soon. X
    • Posted

Thanks Acejohnston. Does sphincter of oddi can cause reflux symptoms? I research about and I found that the pain mimics the one of the gallbladder, sometimes I feel a stabbing pain where my GB was. Not sure if it's the liver, bile ducts or what. I really hope is something that explains this pain and can be treated but i haven't seen someone yet that sent me for exams on my liver a d bile ducts. I think that's what should be checked and an endoscopy to see the how my chest and stomach are. It feels all inflamed because it hurts a lot. I pray to God that this will happen soon.x
  • Posted

Hi all, an update from me, spent last night in hospital had CT scan. I have some sort of fluid collection in the gallbladder fossa. The medics don't think this is related to the symptoms that I am experiencing now, they have now put me on the waiting list for an endoscopy to see whether there is something else going on. Will post again when I have more to tell. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.