Problems since using Ompeperazole

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi

i started using ompeperazole for mild heartburn about 2 years ago. and since then i have had all kinds of stomach pain. which my doc said was IBS the blanket term used for "i have no idea what is wrong with you". i stopped taking them after xmas this year as i watned to stop taking all pills etc. to see if it would ease my pain. it didnt it was horrbile to the point most days i just lay there bloated and in pain. buring pains etc. the 8 days ago i went back on and ive been a lot better since. but i dont want to be on this as its not for long term use as it clearly states on the instructions. not more than 6 weeks. before i started these pills i never had any stomach issues. not every day is hell. my life is ruined. i only had the odd bit of hearburn before and now my life is destroyed. seein my doc thursday for about the 15th time regarding this issue. he still says its IBS. its not. i had stomach surgery 6 motnths ago and that has made it even worse. any ideas people cus i cant go on much longer

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I had awful side effect reactions to omeprazole. I know it's a popular drug and works - when it's the fix required - but in alot of other instances it can cause more harm than good.

PPI's suppress acid production which can make the situation worse if your stomach enzymes are actually the reason for your pain/digestion problems.

I went from omeprazole to lansoprazole (an alternative of the same drug type) and ended up with more pain elsewhere.

For me Ranitidine helped where those two failed, in that it reduced my acid and pain without causing more. It works in a different way to the other two. If you are having alot of problems with ppi you should definitely consult your doctor right away. There are plenty of people with the same problem, try not to panic smile

• Posted

it got worse just after xmas when i decied to stop them. the burning i think its prob an ulcer which would make sense as to why the pain has got 90% better since taking the ompeperazole agian
    • Posted

Yeah, when you stop taking them there is often a rebound period where suddenly all of that suppressed acid production bounds back into action and it can trigger a rather nasty reflux/pain episode.

In general the best way to do it is to reduce the amount you take slowly rather than stop cold turkey out of the blue. That way you can ween yourself off of it, perhaps onto something less intensive like ranitidine and if that works then on to weaker antacids and then onto nothing.

Omeprazole and ppi's are available at various strengths, so it depends how much you are on Ofcourse and how many times a day.

• Posted

i did get bad heartburn when i stopped. but the pain mostly is in my belly. i bloat bad and it burns really bad and stings. and i get constiptaed etc. i can bend over or even push on my belly without really bad pain.
    • Posted

Yeah the pain can be weird, it's almost like its imaginary - in that you can push and prod and even feel ok at times but at others it's like it's suddenly popped up and stood everything dead.

I tried to ignore my reflux at first because it was so new to me but eventually it lead to a sleep disorder, which I'm still experiencing.

I hope you can find an alternative with your dr that suppresses your heart burn and pain. Although omeprazole does deal with acid effectively I don't think it's a good long term solution.

• Posted

i have just read that DLG tablets are good. liqurice pills. they work as well as omeperazole i read and they also highly effective in the treatment of gastirits and ulcers naturally. so im truying those. and going to ween off omeperazole forever 
  • Posted

Your stomach medication can strip out good bacteria in your stomach if taken for long period and make you prone to stomach bugs.  I was was put on the same medication for heartburn and it helped but I was only on it for a very short time and I had no ill effects.  Check the medication leaflet for side effects to see if they match yours.  You could also google the side effects; it often gives more detail.

Stomach surgery can cause IBS; this is well known.  There seems to be a link with your surgery and worsening symptoms.  IBS is not diagnosed lightly; many tests are often done to rule out other conditions first.

It may be worthwhile asking for an endoscopy to check for ulcers because of your pain and heartburn. You could also ask for a standard ultrasound and a pelvic ultrasound to check your ovaries since you are having bloating.

However, IBS can cause bloating, heartburn, burning sensations and pain. I have IBS and have stomach pain, heartburn occasionally, and constipation.  I also had loose motions and nausea.

• Posted

if they fond overaries then i would be in trouble cus im a man lol. you see the fact is before ompeperazole i just had some hearburn and rennies would  sort it. my doc put me on this and at first was ok but then the whole of my insdes just stopped working. constipation bloating. burning pains etc. 
    • Posted

This may sound bizarre but when I was diagnosed with acid reflux and an ulcer I started going to the gym, thinking that if I could tone my stomach muscles  it might help strengthen the sphincter muscle which was allowing the acid reflux. It worked!! Well something did and certainly wasn't the ppi medication which really didn't suit me. The ulcer healed and 10 years on and I very rarely get acid reflux, only if I eat very spicy food. I agree with Philippa - IBS should only be diagnosed after other conditions/disorders have been ruled out. 

Jan

• Posted

my doc diagnose eveything just by looking at me and usually in 3 mins flat lol. i know that IBS is what they tell you that you have when all other tests show up nothing. i just order some DGL pills and Mastika Gum as i read this can help no end
  • Posted

I am taking omeprazole. Have been taking them for about a year now.

Had to come off them for 2 weeks before I had a gastroscopy and really struggled.

Ended up taking gaviscon instead.

I take them at night as I have stomach pains first thing in the morning and these pains seem to be better if I have takenomeprazole the night before. Everyone is different.

Hope this settles down for you

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah

• Posted

i get like bloating in my stomach and pain when i press in and also burning senstation. but in my belly not my throat
  • Posted

What do you mean by stomach surgery? What did they do with your stomach? Have you tried Nexium and healthy diet such as stop coffee, alcohol etc... Hope you well soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.