problems sleeping

Posted , 7 users are following.

ive been taking 7.5mg of zopiclone for a long time. now i have run into a problem. its not working, when i thought the amount of effect from the pill would never wear off, like i was getting the faintest amount of effect and that was enough to relax me and allow sleep. this last few days ive had to take 15mg in order to get to sleep. i thought this drug would always have some effect, but obviously i was wrong. i cant bear to think of life without sleep. i know eggburt has been on these pills for over 15 years, why is the same not happening to me

2 likes, 51 replies

51 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi there Mikey,  I know your frustration at the thought of it not working, or having the same affect as it use to anymore, been on them for about eight years myself and i am currently going through the same thing, as with most drugs we reach a point ( some people quicker than others ) where we become almost immune to the original effect of the drug as with illicit drugs like Heroin, amphetamine, Cocaine etc and Zopiclone is no exception. Also different people may have different reactions to a given drug, for example my wife says Zopiclone have no or little effect on her as does her friend, but to me they have always had quite a powerfull effect which only makes it all the more harder to go without them. Being an ex drug user ( illegal drugs ) for many years and having given them all up one by one to the point where Zopiclone is my only dependance does not make it any easier, i feel this is one drug i cannot go without which of course is what being addicted to something is all about..............so having two Zopiclones instead of one only makes the problem bigger ....100% bigger.  I have had some good advice from members on this forum recently of which i am very gratefull, even with my past experiance i was finding the obvious difficult to see, and quite often in life people see or spot things which we can't or don't want to see, with me i was thinking drinking alchohol last thing at night with my Zopiclone was a good idea dispite having Liver Disease,  guess i did not want to admit to myself that really now was the time to seriously think about cutting back my medication with a long term view to giving it up altogether and try to find an alternative way to cope with my problems. Sorry i seem to have gone into one.....i guess i am just typing what i am thinking and hoping some of it makes sense to you and may be of help. I personaly feel so much better for having given up the illegal drugs that i am sure this must be the way to go....all the best and good luck to you.....Robin
    • Posted

You have worked very hard. Congratulations and love and good luck in your decrease of zopiclone x
  • Posted

Everyone is different.  You say you've been on it for a long time, i don't know how long that is.  I took zolpidem, a similar drug, for about 17 years and didn't increase the dose at bedtime, it was 10mg, but because it's a very short acting medication (its purpose is to get you to sleep but not to keep you asleep) i would wake up after 4 or 5 hours, and then i got into a thing where i would take a smaller dose and get back to sleep for another hour or two.  For many years, i didn't need to do that, but at some point i did.  They came out with an "extended release" version and i took that, it's 12.5mg, and that worked for a long time, but finally, i stopped getting much effect from it. I could get to sleep at night usually but it didn't keep me asleep long. Then, i found some zopiclone in my drawer that i'd apparently tried years before but didn't like it as much. I tried it out one night and it did get me to sleep, and i stayed asleep all night. Unfortunately i was also hung over during the day. But i started taking it instead of the zolpidem. I found that i was too hung over to work during the day so at first i only took it on weekends. Then i started taking it all week.  After about two months, maybe two and a half, it stopped working as well as it was, and i added the zolpidem back in, not as much as before, i took half of the extended release zolpidem with 7.5mg zopiclone. But i was also taking more zolpidem in the morning around 4 or 5am because i would wake up and not be able to go back to sleep. So, after taking zolpidem for many many years without getting addicted, by that time, i developed what you're talkinga bout, tolerance, which is a feature of addiction, and i needed to take more to get the effect.  But i also knew that the more i took the more i would need, that's how it works, and i wasn't able to get enough to do that, so i had to sometimes go without very much sleep for a day or two, without increasing the dose, and then, from getting less sleep, i'd be more tired, and the same amount of meds would get me to sleep.  I hated being on both medications and got some odd symptoms which began shortly after i started the zopiclone which were disturbing (waking  up feeling like i was in an unfamilar place, even though it was my home, and not knowing how to do things like making breakfast). it would wear off pretty quick, not more than a half hour, but i was not happy with it. It only happened on occasion, like twice a month or so, but still, it was very disturbing to feel that out of it, and one morning i had a black out experience which to my knowledge, i hadn't had before.  A plumber came to my house for an appointment and i told him i didn't need a plumber. Later, his boss called me and asked my address and then said his plumber had come to my house and was told a plumber wasn't needed. I did not remember that at all, and insisted that i had been home the whole time and no one had come to the door.  But the guy described me and my dog, so i bellieved them that they came and i didn't remember it at all. Disturbing. So, i was really wanting to get off the zopiclone because i'd never had symptoms like that before. It still took me almost a year to finally get the courage to start reducing the amount of zopiclone, i was so afraid of not getting enough sleep. But when i finally did it, it was pretty easy because i was still taking plenty of zolpidem so i didn't really miss any sleep, i was cutting 1/4 of the zopiclone tablet, it took me a couple of months but i got off it, and have not had those weird symptoms since then.  But i'm still on the zolpidem.  Maybe instead of doubling your dose, did you try cutting the pill in quarters and seeing if just adding a quarter would get you to sleep? In my experience, the only way to reduce my tolerance has been to go with less sleep for up to a couple of days, and i have  been very reluctant to do that, but for me, there is really no choice. If i keep increasing the amount of medication, it will get less and less effective, so that a huge amount will not work.  I sympathize with you.  I am planning to get off the zolpidem even if it means very little sleep, but in my case, i have found that when i go without sleep, i do sleep easier after a day or two. This may not be true for everyone.  Another thing i've found is that sometiems i feel better on days i slept less than on days i sleep more, i can't explain that but it is real, and i've heard other people say the same thing.
  • Posted

get to the doctors and get some mirtazapine 40mg..start taking them with the zopiclone then as soon as you can start tapering the zopiclone down to the point where you are having even just a minute amount.Its working for me and i thought i'd never get off zopiclone.15 years i'd been on them.
    • Posted

Hi Dean. I am on mitazapone 45mg at night.

How did you reduce and by what amounts and time schedule.

I really aappreciate your replying, thank your x

• Posted

i was on 7.5 mg zopiclone which i carried on taking alongside the mirtazapine.Did this for a couple of weeks then started cutting the zopiclone in half.i did this for a further two weeks.then i got the doctor to prescribe 3.75mg zopiclone which i cut in half,so for the last 2 weeks ive been taking half of one of these.Now i'm starting to take a quater of a 3.75mg alongside the mirtazapine.i will keep doing thjis for a further two weeks then hopefully finish alltogether with the zopiclone.Dont rush it,do whatever you feel comfy with.
    • Posted

Hi Dean . Thanks for the info.

Other than the medical problems I feel isolated after having to move to an area I do not

know nor know anyone around me.

A person commited arson with me and my

pets inside...... Long story.

I am going to try and follow your advice and we can support each other.

I really appreciate your messages. Thank

you. X

• Posted

Dean--i am so happy to hear about your awesome progress, and about the helpfulness of mirtazapine.  I recall a lot of what you've been through and i could not be happier for you, to get detoxed from the poison zopiclone.  i guess the alpha stim didn't help, huh?  Mine is still in its sealed plastic wrapper.
    • Posted

honest truth about the alpha stim is i dont think i've really given it a proper go,i've used it a couple of times but i didnt really feel anymore relaxed,it certainly didnt make me feel sleepy.Perhaps i should make  more of an effort and make myself use it every night,then i may be able to report something more positive.
    • Posted

Hi Jaw444,

You mentioned that you have not even used your alpha stim. Are you looking at selling it? I have had fantastic results from my one that I am looking at buying one for my local group to allow others to test.

• Posted

I would like to add although i want to buy  another one, Have you used your one correctly. My advice is to use this advice until it starts working for YOU. Forget the manual about 20 mins a day. If you need to use it for 3 hours use it for 3 hours. Once you find the amount you require you should hopefully be able to start reducing the usuage. For me I use mine an hour every morning and 40 mins at lunch. The control is set to a point just lower than what makes you feel dizzzy.
  • Posted

Hey Mikeyboy. That must be awful if the medication is no longer having its proper effect. I have found that too at times on 15mg of zopiclone. I am sure there are other things that may help you. Please read my post on "Sleeping Strategies" I really think it will help you. I know very well what it is like not sleeping and it is terrible. Hang in there and keep posting.
  • Posted

Mikey. What will you do when you gain a tolerence of the 15mg of. Zopiclone?

I understand your situation truly. I wish I could give you an answer or tell you the way forward.

Thank you for starting the discussion. Xx

• Posted

im not going to the 15mg. im going to go without the sleep and learn to cope. i believe that i will sleep eventually, so long as i dont panic. its going to be really hard, but i have to do it. 15mg is not the answer.
    • Posted

You are right, increasing the dose will just eventually become ineffective, probably fairly soon.   In 1993 i had been using diazapam for sleep for close to 20 years, i stayed at 10mg most of that time, and sometimes i slept without it for days at a time, i wasn't hooked, i just wanted to have that control over falling asleep fast, not waiting around. But eventually, some things in my life led me to increasing the dose (noise that woke me up, new neighbor) and once that happened, the dose kept going up and the more i increased it, the less effective it was, i was up to 30mg a night, only for about a week, and since i couldn't get more and was running out, i just quit cold turkey, i didnt' even know there was such a thing as tapering.

Once i decided to stop taking it, i felt happy.  Then i got some withdrawal symptoms, it's more addictive that Z drugs like zopiclone because it affects more neuroreceptors, but i still felt good because i knew i wasn't going to go back on it and i felt confident that eventually i would sleep ok without it.  Even during the withdrawals most of which were over in 4 days (first two days not bad, 3rd and 4th worse, but then it kind of suddenly stopped), i still slept a little bit, which surprised me. Even though it was short, i was happy to get some sleep, i was encouraged by that.  After i got off it (i did it during a 2 week vacation from work), my sleep very gradually improved. It was not linear progress. I would never sleep through the night, i'd always wake, usually at least a couple of times, and on good nights, i would go back to sleep pretty quick, on worse nights i would be awake for a couple of hours or more, but over time, the days that i slept better increased and the days i didn't sleep as much got fewer.  

I did mention to my doctor that i had gone off the diazapam which i was very proud of, but that i wasn't always getting much sleep, and at that time, though i wasn't asking for anythng, he prescribed zolpidem.  At first , i rarely took it, i was into being clean of all meds.  But i took it once in a while if i had some reason, like i hadn't slept much in 3 or 4 days, or if i had an early appointment in the morning, things like that, i only took it 2 or 3 times a month over the coming year, so i was doing OK for sleep. It took me about 3 months to sleep OK most of the time, but the progress was steady from the beginning. Just slow.  But at some point, i started taking the zolpidem more regularly, and now it's been 20 years i've been on it.  Planning to go off it.

• Posted

Mikey,I am going to  start my decrease of zopiclone on the 20th.

Try deep breathing at the first sign of any panicky feelings.

Take small steps, the hardest step is the first one. X

• Posted

Me too.

Did the Drs realise what the were doing?

Diazepam Drug of the 60a. Given out like Smarties.

Am I wrong in thinking this way? X

• Posted

You achieved such a lot. Be proud of yourself. Congratulations.

You can do it and I will do it with you x

• Posted

Hi Mikey.

How did today go with your project?

Did you sleep ok last night?

I have some good news!!!!

I came off diazepam five weeks ago and had a letter re reducing my zopiclone.. I saw my gp today and they are not going to take the ground from under me. Thank God. I couldn't cope with that too ...

X

• Posted

what dose of zop are you now on. i took 15mg tonight, though its very patchy and sometimes doesnt work. last night i did sleep, but it was a struggle. my project is going good. i finished my investament appraisal today, and hopefully there wont be to many adjustments on it for submission, which  iam hoping for. that satisfys one of my work objectives for the year

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.