Problems with alcohol when hyperthyroid

Posted , 5 users are following.

I suspect that I have gone hyper again. When I was first diagnosed I discovered I could not tolerate alcohol, not even a single glass so had to stop. Once I was on carbimazole for a few weeks I found that I could have one or two glasses without a problem and soon I was able to enjoy a night with say three glasses of wine if I wanted to. Now suddenly, I can't drink again. After only one glass of wine I am suddenly hit with a terrible exhaustion and have to take to my bed. My legs ache horribly so I can't properly rest. After a few hours the aching wears off. I'm obviously not going to drink again until I get more stable again, but wondered does anyone else have this problem when they are hyper? It is a shame that I can't enjoy a glass of wine on a summer evening with my family. But obviously, I can't.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hey Evergreen

Im Jess and im 18 smile

Im going to see the doctor on Thursday for a blood test because I am over 90 percent certain I have a overactive thyroid. My mam, auntie,gran and grandad all have problems with their thyroid (underactive and overactive)

I know I haven't been diagnosed with anything but when i was 14/15/16 years old I would drink everyone under the table (i know I was young but whatever, thats another story) but most times I go out I cant drink, I get tired and my head starts to hurt really bad, only off 2/3 drinks so it cant be because im getting drunk or whatever. & im 18!! legal and everything so I think it has some connection with my thyroid.. are you the same? Try go to the doctors and explain what is happening when you consume alcohol and they should be able to do something about it as it is ruining your social life etc.. x

• Posted

I can't find anything about it online so thought I'd ask here. All I know is that I was like this when I was first diaagnosed, then got better with the carbimazole and could drink normally again, but now I feel dreadful when I drink so have had to cut it out again. Just one of the reasons I think I have gone hyper again now that my dose of carbimazole is down to 5mg. Let us know how you get on at the docs.

• Posted

Yip !!!Join the Club !!

Mx🌹

• Posted

Glad I'm not the only one. But sorry you suffer from it too. I can't find anything about it online.

• Posted

Hi Jessie .. I'm hyperthyroid .. Graves' disease ... And a glass of wine just uses up any energy that I have left at the end of the day ... And the next day I feel like I have lead

Boots on and a hangover ... Just not worth it

One nice cool glass of wine is such a pleasure ... Such a pity !

Mx🌹

• Posted

Yes, I do love a nice cold glass of pinot but as you say, definitely not worth the after effects.
  • Posted

I feel the same Evergreen,

Was only diagonised about 3mths ago had got very unwell and admitted to hospital begore they found out as thought the 4stone weight loss and all other symtoms was to do with my Lupus.

When they started the carbimazole I started feeling amazing within 2-3weeks and hadnt been able to drink at all for a about a year. After starting treatment felt fine with alcohol , Even was able to stay up past 8pm !!! Lol

As even though you cant sleep, you just need to lie down to rest. I used to shower- lie down 10mins, get dressed-lie down 10mins etc as my heart would race so bad id start vomiting and cramping stomach pains.

Unfortunately they have taken me off my drugs for 4weeks to see what happens with bloods as i had started going hypo even when reduced to 5mg .

Im feeling horrendous now after a week of no drugs ! Have started beta-blockers again as my resting heart rate is up to 110-120 BMP not as bad as they were (160-180 before drugs)but on the drugs was down to 80-90 BMP. All the other symtoms are back again too. Losing 1lb a day (7lb this week) , stomach cramps are bad , horrendous nausea even with 2 different anti-sickness medications 3x daily . Tearful,irritable and everything is just too much energy. Also new symtom of bad headaches. Def think ive gone hyper again.

Anyway hugs to all of the people living with this, it is crap and im new to it , so dont know how you all cope with the ups and downs.

• Posted

It is such a frustrating illness. You can swing from one to the other in such a short time. I was doing okay on 5mg for a week or so then some family pressures were just all too much for me and it has set me back greatly. I can't take any stress at all; it makes me have a hyper attack. You do sound hyper too if your heart is racing. It may be that you are one of those people very sensitive to the carb and who needs only a very small amount, but if it is stopped all together, you go hyper again. Maybe you could suggest going onto 2.5mg a day?

• Posted

Think thats good advice Evergreen!

I do find im very sensitive to other drugs for my Lupus so you could be right !

Going to take blood form down to walk in pathology bloods tom morning and just get my bloods done 2weeks early. Ohherwise im going to feel so unwell on holiday.

Will speak to Endo secrectary and let them know in the morn. Thx Evergreen and hope you feel some improvement soon.

• Posted

I'm hyperthyroid but don't drink alcohol but I do hurt in my legs and feet . I don't know if it's safe to try a little alcohol with my thyroid medicine 

• Posted

This is a very old thread now CATHY .. ...  you may not get replies 

And yes  ......

Alcohol and  Graves' disease or HYPER ... DO NOT MIX 

LUV MX🌹

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.