Problems with celulitis

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was in hospital for a week with cellulitis and was getting IV antibiotics for 10 hours out of each 24 hours.  I have been home now for a couple of weeks, with oral antibiotics and I feel my leg is much better...............however, my calf area is really hard, and my shin/calf area is a purplish colour.  Has anyone else had this as well???

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Yes it does go like that, it’s normal, make sure u moisturise the skin and eventually the skin will return to normal.
  • Posted

I have a few questions....

*. Where on your leg was the cellulitis rash and include details like how big the area of infection was ..

*Was it with a cut or open wound or was it a mass under skin .

*. Is the purple discoloration new.

*. did they find the source of the infection

*. Are you still on antibiotics ?

*. When is your follow up appointment with a Dr

*. Do you have any other things going on that are new? no matter how insignificant anything can be related... Fever.. tiredness ..nausea ..

*. Is the area where the infection was .... more painful? .. swollen ? Warm to the touch? Discolored? Puckered like an orange peel?

**I'm not a doctor... But I do have alot of medical knowledge (nursing school and pre-med studies which I had to leave because I got sick and have had a crap ton of experience as a patient) so If you have an emergency seek attention

• Posted

My entire foot and lower leg, and up the inside of my thigh up to my groin.

Im not too sure, I kicked my toe a couple of time and the second time it bled, so I'm assuming the infection got in there?  But my toe didn't swell up on it's own like it was infected, and there was no puss point.

Yes the purple is new.  To begin with the entire leg was swollen and red - since healing, it has turned purple on my calf and shin area.

No I have finished my course of antibilotics

I don't have a follow up appointment

all of the skin on the lower part of my leg has pealed off, starting at the knee down, just my foot to go with the excess skin.  No infection that I can see, nothing more painful, but still discomfort in the shin and calf area.  Not warm to touch.  I have my leg up during the day and on top of a cushion in bed at night to keep elevated 

• Posted

Hi Bunnypuffs,

May I ask you some questions. My right thought just feel hurt after I watched a movie on 18 Dec and I thought it was just a bump but by Christmas it was still very hot and red esp at night time so I went to see doctor, they diagnosed it’s Cellulitis and gave me antibiotics, unfortunately until New Year’s Eve it’s not improving more swollen and red and hot but not expanding. I was then admitted to hospital on IV antibiotics till now but no big improvement. Two days ago the doc started to give me steroid and it works magic , no more red, pain, heat during the day, but at night the heat and redness comes back!! Mine it’s not a open wound just a mass underneath the skin. Very frustrating! Tomorrow the doc will release me from hospital and probably gave me oral antibiotics and steroid to take at home ! Just don’t know how long I have to wait before it completely heal. Thanks for your advice in advance

• Posted

hi rissy had the same 3 times  i am on a/b  low dose for life at the moment clear but have to pay a lot of attention  to leg iwear compression socks for oedema water retention stop leg swelling also keep checking feet splits cracks athletes feet cream twice aday and try if you can to rest leg lie on bed couch chair leg raised  other than that alls fine
  • Posted

hi rissy  what bunny said is very good follow but i dont like it when you say groin area do they know this is      this needs attention if its getting worse surelly they did not send you out with infection in grion   rissy dont want you to get worse must get this looked at asp  please   unless you happy with it  can get very serious quickly i know been there  follow bunny words

• Posted

OH, yeah, when I went into hospital, that's where the infection was.  All gone now, just my calf and shin giving me aches and pains and discolouration etc

• Posted

ok rissey thought it was getting worse  yep it takes a while to get right again i was under dis nurse one of sores would not heal   all ok now though

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.