Problems with feeling too cold or too hot

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello I was only diagnosed with mild fibromyalgia against a background of osteoarthritis in June of this year.Since menopause (now nearly 72) have had trouble with heat and in the summer when temperatures start to rise I end up with soaking wet hair. This also happens sometimes when cooking in a hot kitchen in the winter. I dread it when the weather man says it is going to be 25c or above as I know I will feel dreadful. I don't go out if it is hot unless really necessary. However the thing I wanted to ask about was the complete opposite. For years I have had trouble feeling cold especially when winter turns to spring and others are in their garden with just a t shirt I feel cold and have to get a hot water bottle and warm myself up. It does not last long and is not all the time. Now we are going from summer into autumn I feel the same today my husband is out in the garden a t shirt the temperature is about 18/20 and when I go out into the garden I can feel it is warm. However indoors I feel cold my hand are freezing but I feel ok. I have heard that Fibro causes problems with temperature control. Can anyone relate to any of this. I also have an underactive thyroid and I know that can cause heat and cold

intolerance but I had that diagnosed nearly 30 years ago. Thank you.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

HONESTLY I think that is more a condition of thyroid and not fibro. Temperature regulation is specific to thyroid and perhaps seeing your GP will get the ball rolling with options. You can also research natural alternatives to help. No need to be drenched on a lovely day out.

• Posted

Thank you Wendy652 for your reply and kind words.I have often wondered about it being thyroid related. I can tell you though that although I have never liked hot weather I was fine after starting thyroid medication in 1993 it was not until after menopause that heat intolerance and wet hair started round about 1999/2000 or even later I do remember at my daughter's wedding in summer 2003 my wedding hat with wet hair underneath. I will mention it again to my doctor but I do have other more important health problems to see my GP about next month. You probably know what it is like with go appointments these days.

• Posted

yes i definitely have this problem,not as bad as your describing but i do feel that its hard for me to find the "right" temperature for me.its always either too hot or too cold. i also feel extremely cold when everyone else are feeling fine but i also, if I'm putting on a coat or something, get too hot super fast so its a constant fight with the air conditioner... it took me a very long time to understand that its because of the fibro and that its hard for me with the body temperature. i also, before going to sleep, wash my feet with cold water so i don't get to warm when trying to sleep.

• Posted

Thank you milkao6482 for your reply. I think from what you say you suffer with this problem much more frequently than I do it is only the hot weather and the change of seasons which cause problems. Fortunately although I hate to say this as so many look forward to sunny warm weather, I am in the north west of England and it does not get as hot in the summer as down south which is where I come from. I hope that you will find something that works for you. Take care.

• Posted

I feel your pain, you could be describing a day in my life, I feel exactly the same as you. I don't go out unless its for a hospital appointment or my INR test each month to see how much wafarin i need to take, i shower each morning and am exhausted and sweating Profusely, my hair is stuck to me, I also have osteoarthritis and heart problems too. I'm borderline thyroid and have it checked every six months. I sit looking out of the window each morning and just want to cry, I cry when my son and husband are at work all week, I feel useless and don't want to bring them down to my low mood and try to put a brave face on. I take a cocktail of pain killers heart tablets blood thinning tablets, I had an early menopause at 28, taking HRT, I was taken off last summer, so im having horrible side effects of my second menopause, I'm 54, and only get up in the mornings because of my little jack russell dog TESS, shes 15, and helps me through the days. Every bit if me hurts, the pain is horrendous, every single day, I was diagnosed with fibro fifteen years ago by a Rheumatologist. There are too many symptoms of fibro to mention but i have them all. Its a triumph just getting through the day, only to start the same the next day. sending you gentle hugs. x

• Posted

just read your post and wanted to send love and gentle hugs , I know you feel like your struggling, but you are getting through each day and that's what counts, take care of you x x x

• Posted

Yes, I would say Fibro affects the how you feel temperature wise. I started getting what I call hot flushes at first though being a male, it couldn't be menopause.

Normally I ran hot (though not flush wise), in that I was ok with a t shirt down to say about 57-60F, now that has all changed.

I had all the blood tests (including Thyroid) all came back normal.

I haven't been officially diagnosed with Fibro, but I have certain symptoms. I am taking Pregabalin (150mg) and my flushes have somewhat improved, but I have noticed now I now manage to sweat, whereas before I wasn't so much so wondered if that was something to do with it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.