Problems with Gabapentin

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have fibromyalgia that at times can be unbearable.  I also have chronic migraine syndrom that plays into the mix.  My migrains are treated with topomax extended release daily and maxalt when a migraine occurrs.  The migraines are better than they have been in years, but I still have one or two a month that will put me in bed for a few days.

Now you have the background.  I was recently put on gabapentin for fibromyalgia pain.  The first week was only at nigt and I did fairly well inspite of a mild, but constant headache.  I just started the second week where you take one in the morning and one at bedtime and this morning dose has me high.  I've never taken drugs outside of what I've been prescribed, but I feel like its the 70's and I should be wearing tie die and no bra.

Would it be safe to take both doses at night and not take a daytime dose? My dose is 300 mg.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi, sorry to hear of your fibromyalgia pain and also your migraines. Sounds like you are in a real lot of pain - I have friends with fibromyalgia and I have suffered migraines in the past so I can feel your migraine pain. I know my friends with fibromyalga suffer dreadfully with it.  Good that your migraines are better than they have been in years but still having really bad ones once or twice a month is still really awful.

My GP put me on 3 Gabapentin at night to begin with - along with 2 Tramadol and a low dose amytriptaline. I had already been on 2 Tramadol and amytriptaline so the 3 Gabapentin were put on to help with the pain as the Gabapentin helps with nerve pain (which was coming from leg ulcer on a nerve) I slept like a baby after that lot !  The second week's dosage was 1 in the morning and the 3 at night, the third week's dosage was 2 in morning, 1 after lunch and the 3 at night. I didn't feel high but found no help with the daytime dosages so went back to 2 Solpadol and 2 Ibuprofen taken together (Ibuprofen only with meals and only 3 times a day while you can take Solpadol or Paracetamol 4 times a day. My Gabapentin dose is also 300mg and my GP said that dose isn't really terribly strong, so from what I was told your 2 at night would do no harm I would think and may help you to sleep. Go back to your GP if these dosages don't help. Let me know how you get on. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi, feeling loopy is a side effect of Gabapentin. Wldn't suggest taking double dose without 1st cking with your doctor.

• Posted

I took it briefly for pain and had to stop due to side effects. It worked so well for all the pain! And I slept so well! I never even got up to the morning doses. I was given a script for 300mg 3xaday and started out slowly, taking only one at night for a couple days and then two. By day 4 I was totally out of it. Out of pain, but out of my head as well. And my vision was extremely blurred. If I hadn't had the blurred vision I think I would've kept taking it. I had to stop. My pharmacist said it was interacting with other meds I am on that I really cannot stop taking. I've even tried opening the capsule and dumping half out, but such a small dose does not help the pain at all, so I'm back to square one. I bought new glasses thinking maybe that was part of my problem. Seeing clearly has been eye opening! Pun intended! So now that my vision is perfect again I decided to try it again. I took one last night. Slept great! No pain all day! But the blurred vision was back and more noticeable since I have new glasses. That really sucks!! If you don't have side effect that prevent you from doing what you like to do, I would say adjust it for what fits you and enjoy pain free days!!!

• Posted

I wonder if it a combined nation of the drugs you are taking. Saw my GI PA at Stanford today and she mentioned taking Topomax as I am in Gabapentin and complaining ng of weight gain, for one.  Just looked up Topomax side effects and it says it can cause blurred vision.  I have Macular Degeneration already and concerned about taking it.  Have been to,d you need to give these meds about two weeks trial.  I would like to get off the Gabapentin completely. Can't say I have ever slept any better since taking it.  I do feel kind I'd drugged and tired and affects my memory.

• Posted

Hello Margot. I too was on gabapentin for a short period of time. Didn't sleep well and found didn't help pain. I did however have side effects, one of which was drugged/loopy, another memory loss. Suffered other side effects also. I have been off for 2 mos now and just starting to feel better. Gabapentin is a terrible drug. If you decide to discontinue using, must do so slowly.  Good luck, feel better.

• Posted

Sorry to hear about your pain. I would check with your GP first before upping the dosage of Gaberpentin or any other drug. Gaberpentin is a very strong drug and can have side effects which affect everybody differently. What suits one may not suit another. Only your GP can advice as they know your medical history. Hope this helps.

Elizabeth.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.