Problems with GP

Posted , 6 users are following.

I wonder if I could have some advice/support. I have been prescribed sertraline and told my gp that I had started at 25mg. She reacted as if this was a stupid thing to do and said the minimum theraputic dose was 50mg. I explained that I was starting low to minimise side effects particularly the start up ones such as increased anxiety, agitation etc. My GP then said the tablet was to treat those things not cause them. I explained about the start up effects and serotonin, dopmaine (Sertraline also effects dopamine) etc which led to her saying no other patient would talk about such things. I asked if i could phone for support / advice if any side effect were too troublesome and she said all she would do would be to tell me to continue. I am very sensitive to medication but cannot help that. I am feeling so vulnerable at the moment and from what my gp says she does not seem to fully know how these things work at all nor be aware or want to be aware of the risks and side effects and how they might be managed. I feel so alone and don't know what to do.

Changing GP's now would take so much time, you have to give proof of id etc , fill our forms, then this goes someone centrally then your records have to be printed off and be sent manually to the new practice (I live in the UK). The whole antidepressant thing terrifies me anyway as I had a bad experience on one. I am feeling terrible and don't know what to do. It is horrible to be dismissed by your GP they should be there to support you not to condem and ridiculde you.

1 like, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Can you get your gp to referre you to a psychiatrist.

Some GP dont have enough knowledge on AD's

• Posted

Hi Caroline first of all that's terrible your GP doesn't sound helpful at all. You know your body and how it feels. Could you ask to see a different GP at the same surgery ? I am super sensitive to medication so I know how you feel. Your GP should certainly know that some medications can increase anxiety at least to begin with. Definitely ask to see someone else. Have you considered therapy, it's at least something else you can try and it might be what you need. Best of luck with everything. I'm lucky my Gp has been really good, although as you know it's not the same for everyone. Stay strong, it's hard work but you can do it. cheesygrin
  • Posted

I rarely reply to these discussions but was so outraged when I read yours I felt compelled to reply. Your GPs attitude is terrible and her knowledge of medications seems minimal. I have taken SSRIs fairly regularly throughout my life - I am now 46 - and I can assure you you are doing exactly the right thing. You may well suffer adverse effects at first - I get anxious and drowsy amongst many other side effects - and may well need support to get through. This is common knowledge - I have had many GPs and although they have had varied knowledge of SSRIs they have all advised me that they may make me feel worse to start with.

You may also find that you have withdrawal symptoms when you come off. These can be worse than the original problem and you need support through that too. The other thing I would be concerned about with your GP is that she might keep you on them for an extended period of time. Having suffered terrible withdrawal and had a bad time coming off after long periods - longer than a year - I would be very careful about that.y doctors would quite happily keep me in for the rest of my life and when I have bad withdrawal their answer is to go back on. Fortunately they are supportive when I say I want to come off, if not a bit puzzled as to why I would want to.

These medications are not the wonder drug they are held up to be and for many GPs their knowledge stretches a far as the research the drug companies send them. Some of them are very dismissive but there are some who are more sympathetic and willing to listen. Yours sounds terrible and I would strongly advise you to change her. It might be a hassle now but it will save you a lot of trouble in the future, especially if your mental health problem continues.

I would also recommend looking into other ways of dealing with it alongside the meds so that when you do come off you are stronger. Exercise, healthy eating, meditation, yoga, looking into why you are depressed/anxious, all those things the doctor won't mention but will be better in the long term.

I wish you all the best with this. And if you are struggling these forums are always good for advice and support - they are filled with people with real experience of what you are going through.

• Posted

Thank you for your comments Chochka. At the moment I am not stong enough for yoga, meditation, exercise. I know it sounds feeble but my current levels of anxiety/depression well anxiety in particular are so strong it is a struggle getting through the day and when I try yoga or meditation the anxiety seems to increase as a tension is created between how I used to feel when I did those things [this is my first episode of depression and anxiety (they are both severe) and were brought on by illness] and how I feel now and that makes it all the more unbearable - i hope that makes sense. That is one reason I am so scared of the Sertraline and so need GP support.

My GP has been supportive in some other areas but with medication there does not seem to be an acknowledgement of any side effects. I would appreciated been talked to as if I was a mature and knowledable human being rather than being dismissed and talked down to. As you say anti depressants are powerful drugs and are not always successful at all. I am also aware that coming off can cause a lot of problems. I am particularly worried as you are adivised to try them for at least 4 - 6 weeks to get through side effects but if they still did not agree with me and I had to come off I would get bad withdrawl symptoms.

I realise all SSRI's are different for people but did you have a 'preferred one'?

• Posted

It doesn't sound feeble at all - it took me a while to get string enough for exercise and stuff. That's where the meds do come in handy - they can give you that space to start other things. As for a personnel preference, unfortunately you have to find your own. I was doing fine on Prozac and then out of the blue it started to make me feel drowsy and headachy. I had to change and tried sertraline but that had the same effect. Now I've come off them and am dealing with the withdrawals. I've had friends on sertraline who say it's fine and others who prefer other drugs. It's all very personal.
    • Posted

Mirtazapine was my best AD 6 years and depression was under control I did not have anxiety at that point the only side effect was weight gain, I put on 3 stone but I would rather have that than be suicidal.

You only have to read some of the horror stories on the mirtazapine page of this forum to accept that all ADs are different and everyone reacts differently

Stay Strongcool

• Posted

And you shouldn't get withdrawal after 6 weeks either, although I would spend a week tapering anyway. I am very sensitive to drugs so I am ultra careful these days.
  • Posted

I think your Gp was probably correct in their assumption that you have to take sufficient to deal with your anxiety.   The brain has differing levels of chemistry in everyone, that is why the drugs correct any imbalances.

rich

• Posted

do you have a therapist or a counsellor or someone who is trained to help?
    • Posted

I did have someone but it looks as if i might be discharged. It is very difficult at the moment.
    • Posted

It seems the mental health team do a brief treatment period and as I am engaging with CBT it is said that i will probably be discharged. I am having real trouble finding medication to suit and tolerate it is such a big worry.
  • Posted

There are real tests cyp450 and mthfr mutation tests. Anyway its how you metabolize certain drugs that ride certain enymes. Its not that you are sensitive you metabolize them very slowly or at times not and they build up in your system. All meds are dosed in the average way the typical,person metbolizes meds. So you are in the lower end and metaboliza slow. Your doctor is rushed and nasty and i hate medical professionals who dont care and dont know what they are preaching. I almost died from some stupid Bp med two years ago on that exact theory until i threw them out and my doctor had no clue how to treat me because he even tried to put me on the lowest dose but my body body still metabolized it extremly slowly. I always use the lowest doses. That me. I never understood it until i cam across a really kind therapist who i told the story too and asked what was happening and she explained it to me. She said she would be the one who needs help to medicate anyone that has clear and obvious issues with cyp450 meds to give it to them. Shes was correct it can be measured. Your Gp needs to go back to medical school or read up on the science and metabolizing meds stuff, she is wrong and should know better. A loud scream to leave this doctor and get a new one. You would be foolish to stay with her. She has prooven her lack of compassion and knowledge.i know it is hard to change your gp but this one isnt doing her job correctly. She is ignoring what you are saying, pressuring you to tale an amount you feel is not good, not properly evaluating the situation. I bet she wouldnt even know what a cyp450 issue is.so yes take the time out and leave. Google the cyp450 and mthfr defect mutation. Then you will be knowledgable and can clearly explain whats going on. cyp450 has lists of meds on it so You would be aware of which meds would be effected. Im going to bet if you tell the dr. This info she will berate you for why do you know this and you are wring , but she is wrong. Your GP is wrong.what lynne wrote is smart. Dont take meds from the gp and see a therapist and let them help you. I hope you are allowed to pick your therapist.
    • Posted

Thank you for this information Lisa. It is important and interesting and very significant as you say dangerous levels could build up. It also explains why I can get such strong effects. As well as the above I am wondering if I am a CYP2C19 poor metaboliser too, I do wish more professionals would be aware of these things it is tremendously significant as toxicity could develop if not known and patient reaction / feedback ignored.

You are right it will be hard to leave at this particular time as the process takes ages and I need a particular [rescription but I do need to do something. I should not be talked to in that way.

• Posted

Maybe tell her what i wrote can google what i wrote and print out the actual medical lists if shes unaware, haha maybe she would remove you? But be very kind as you explain it. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.