Problems with hypoglycaemia-like symptoms, but blood test normal

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all. My first post...

After a period of not eating (perhaps waiting too long to have lunch or not eating enough during the day), I can have quite a serious reaction, becoming shaky, slightly dizzy, a feeling of hunger but also slight nausea, lethargy, slight increase in heart rate and sometimes difficulty concentrating or responding to people. Also - and the worst part for me - is a strange feeling of anxiety that accompanies this. 

I can think back to single incidents of this throughout adult life, which have generally been resolved by slowly eating a meal. A few months ago, I had a more prolonged reaction, which might have coincided with a virus. On this occasion, I had two more serious 'attacks' which were quite nasty and actually woke me up. A doctor diagnosed gastritis and gave anti-acids. I've not experienced any real stomach pain or painful reflux and suspect this wasn't a good diagnosis. 

A couple of months later, another more prolonged period of these symptoms (a few days). Since then, it has been up and down. I find that just one day of missing meals or waiting too long to eat is difficult to resolve by simply eating - symptoms persist between meals the following day, or even two or three days following. It's as if it takes days to 'reset' my system. I can be fine for several days. Exercise seems to help. 

I'm 39 and male. I've generally been in good shape, training capoeira for about 15 years, but an injury took me away from exercise last year and I've been putting on some extra weight - currently 15 stone (210 pounds) and 6'. I don't currently drive, so cycle or walk often. Sleep is generally ok. I'm often thirsty and drinks lots of water, but haven't been needing to urinate lots. Worse days can sometimes bring an upset stomach - er... 'loose stools'. 

My diet is generally good - lots of vegetables, fruit, some fish, little meat, cereals, pulses, beans, nuts. My weaknesses are cheese, bread and dark chocolate! Not great, but hardly terrible. 

Larger meals seem seem to help. Healthy snacking doesn't always seem to resolve symptoms on a difficult day. 

My GP took blood and returned all 'normal' results. My blood pressure is slightly low, but within the healthy range. I'm sympathetic to the time constraints within the UK healthcare system, but the GP did seem to be ruling out any obvious nasty stuff, then sending me on my way without being especially curious about how I'm feeling. 

I've always been somewhat cynical towards alternative treatments and like to see a good evidence base. I have friends or family members now suggesting all kinds of things, including acupuncture. I'm reading more about the links between the gut and mood and wonder if allergies or general 'gut health' may need to be looked at. But I can't link the symptoms to any particular foods - more an absence of enough food. My girlfriend and friends seem to be able to skip meals or live on relatively small meals - at worst, hunger is resolved by simple eating. It's puzzling and worrying that my system seems to be much different. 

Symptoms are starting to impact work, ability to travel and relationships. I understand the limits (and danger) of online advice and will return to my GP, but I'd be interested to hear from other with similar experiences or those with ideas. 

Many thanks and hope you're all feeling well today!

Ben 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

You can have a test at GP surgery which will tell you if you are diabetic or not.

The important thing is not only what you eat but when you eat it.

Do not skip meals.

Hope this helps

Sarah

• Posted

Thanks Sarah. As mentioned, I've had blood tested. 

Everyone else I've met who skips meals simply feels hungry. I'd be interested to hear from others with similar experiences to mine. 

Many thanks 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.