Problems with IV saline

Posted , 4 users are following.

i have Haemochromatosis and have just started venesection treatment, to be every three weeks. The first one was scary, I felt I was going to faint when only about 100 ml had been taken....then that vein gave up, so the other arm was used. I was fine until the pint had been taken, when I felt really bad. Blood pressure dropped etc, so they gave me saline drip. All in all, I was there three hours.On my last visit, three days ago, I was given the saline iv prior to venesection.....whereupon I started to feel faint about ten minutes after it was started and both they and I had no idea why it was happening. I wasn’t anxious, I don’t have a fear of needles, I had eaten beforehand and been drinking water like a fish since 24 hours before. As per usual, I was laid flat with feet raised and oxygen until it wore off, and they waited about an hour before deciding to take blood from the same cannula, via syringe, which took about another hour.

has anyone got any idea why I’d feel faint from a saline drip?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Was you on the bed when they did it or in chair?

If you feel like this the bed is best place.

What was you blood pressure reading before hand in sitting and laying they should be checked?

drinking a lot before is not a good idea this is a mistake lots of people make this will dehydrate you even more.

I would suggest getting your vit/min checked

• Posted

I was lying down, on a bed. I don’t know what my blood pressure was....they just said it was low!

Im not sure I understand how drinking water can make you dehydrated though?

Are you a medic?

• Posted

Drinking fluids before a venesection is always suggested, required in fact, unless you lie about it.  Can you please provide more information and how you got this information about this suggestion to the contrary.

It is meant to help increase volume in veins.  Do you have any other ideas on that?

• Posted

Are you a small person? I know the blood donar centre won't allow people to donate if under 55kgs. Also it is not recommended to exercise before giving blood. I hope you find out what causes you to feel faint. Its happened to me too. Not a nice experience. Xxx

• Posted

No, I’m 5’7” and weigh approx 11stone ( ☹️ ). so not small at all!

i can sort of understand feeling faint when you’ve just lost a pint of blood but can’t understand why I felt the same when they were giving me saline, unless my body just doesn’t cope well with any interference re bloodstream! I don’t fancy the idea of chelation treatment as an alternative though.....

• Posted

I had a problem when I did not ensure my feet were elevated, so I make sure I do that now.  Also, if the venesection is fast, it can cause a problem.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.