problems with my catheter....

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

so this is a bit of a weird one I guess, I am a 26 year old female and last week I went in to retention this had happened twice and apparently it's a pretty uncommon thing in a female and a female of my age. Anyway they decided to catheteris me for two weeks using a leg bag so I could go home. The A&E department discharged me with the hopes that the district nurses in my area would follow up. However Because I'm not house bound they wouldn't take me as a patient and now I'm stuck.... for the first few days everything was as alright as I could expect however it's getting a lot more sensitive. I'm getting a burning sensation similar to trying to pee with a UTI, and if I try and void my bowls it feels like the catheter is ripping it's self out its soooooo uncomfortable and painful. And I don't know if this is normal... and with noone ask other than short of going back to A&E I'm struggling. Any help or advice would be a amazing.

thanks

hannah2139

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

How awful for you.

Placed in the same situation where I found little or no help elsewhere I would definitely plonk myself at the door of A&E, explain the situation, and insist that something is done about it.

Do not take 'no' for an answer.

I am a male but I had a similar experience many years ago when I was catheterized following the removal of kidney stones.

The catheter had not been inserted properly in the first place and I was in agony when I tried to pass water.

In the end I called a friend of mine who is a consultant in the A&E department and he played merry hell with the hospital staff who then removed the catheter.

Please do not delay in getting this attended to because it can be the cause of some nasty infections.

• Posted

Hi Hannah. You should deffinatly either go to a&e or to ur gp (some gp's have district nurses within their building if its a med centre or can direct u to the d/n building or even sum practice nurses can change them) sounds like uv maybe now got either a water inf or thrush from the catheter. If ud had it in longer id maybe say bladder stones but as u. Only had for a few days/wk i dont think they would have formed yet. Or the catheter may be blocking up ... either way it is an urgent matter u need to see some1 now. If ur still unsure then ring 111 n they will either get the d/n to come to u or advise u where to go. Good luck sweetie xx
    • Posted

Hi thank you so much for replying, it's one of those things that I just don't know anything about so anything that feels slightly wrong is kinda scary. I have since been back to A&E, I do have an infection. They gave me some more antibiotics in the hopes of clearing it up. The Dr had a feel of my tummy but decided that he didn't want to go against the original drs plan and didnt want to take it Out. The only thing that has since had me worried is that after getting back from the hospital when I went to the toilet I found a lot of blood... I mean to a point where the liquid was running red, I don't know why. After getting back from A&E for the rest of that day there was a lot of blood, now it seems to be intermittent. The thing that annoyed me the most when I went to the Dr they didn't even look at it, they literally took a sample directly from the tube and that was it. I'm getting a little disheartened by the NHS.....It seems like all they care about is getting you out the door again. I'm still having no luck with the district nurses there are two in the local area, and they are still saying that they can't take me as a patient. The A&E Dr assured me that all I had to do was get them to take me on he wouldn't have it that they had all told me no.

So currently I'm still stuck with a catheter I don't know an awful lot about and no one to talk to about it. Even my gp said that they don't have the on going skills at the surgery for catheter care....

sorry for the long rant :-(

Hannah

• Posted

Hi Hannah im glad ur now on antibiotics they should clear up the blood in ur urine. When u say the d/n refuse to see you have u offered to go to them rather than them do a home visit? They should have got a discharge letter from the hosp that sent u home with the cath. If i were u i wud check if ur gp has recvd a discharge letter stating u have a cath fitted and get them to fax their copy to the d/n office as i wud imagine u will soon b due to have a clean 1 in replacemnt. Buf they do vary. Some caths stay in situ for 12 wks but like in my dads instance he had a 12 wk cath fitted but had to have it changed every 1 to 2 wks due to blocking etc. Try n make sure u dont get soap etc on the tip end of the cath when bathing & just keep it clean with just water. Do u know wot type of cath u have fitted? X
  • Posted

How long has urs been in situ hun? Just re read ur status n looks like its been in place nearly 2 wk is that right?

Also thrush can occure n aggrivate matters. Maybe getting on the blower to ur gp n explaining ur getting no where n turn the waterworks on. Usually makes them move their butts!

Hope ur feeling better soon hun xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.