Problems With Stool Consistency and Bleeding

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi.

I've posted a few times on here over the past two months about some ongoing bleeding problems.  I had a colonoscopy and was diagnosed with internal hemorrhoids and diverticulosis.  I was told that the hemorrhoids are causing the bleeding. 

Since this started, nearly two months ago, I've had a total of six or seven days in which I did not bleed.  Most of them not back-to-back.  This week, however, I've gone four days without bleeding.  Today I was constipated.  I expected the bleeding to return. And it did.  But, it seemed like there was a small amount of blood in the stool.  But there was no blood on the paper.  So, I don't know what that means.

But, more to the point, I can't seem to get my bowel habits under control.  I have IBS and I try to eat a lot of fiber and I take probiotics everyday.  Since the bleeding started, however, I can't seem to have any sense of regularity.  I still have between one and three BMs a day.  That's normal.  But I regularly have a feeling of incomplete evacuation, my BMs often consist of one or two normal stools followed by nothing but mush (I don't know how else to describe it; it's completely formless, like loose dirt), and I seem to have at least mild constipation at least once a week. 

I've tried increasing my fiber intake, I've even tried taking a daily fiber supplement in addition to eating more fiber.  Water intake hasn't changed, as I already drink quite a bit of water and nothing else.  None of it seems to matter.  Whereas before I could largely control my bowel habits with diet, now it seems as if nothing works. 

Also, I've lost ten pounds over these past two months.

My wife thinks that it's largely anxiety-induced.  And, to be fair, I already have problems with anxiety and depression and this whole ordeal has caused my anxiety to skyrocket.  I've been a nervous wreck for weeks. 

I'm going to see my doctor again, next week.  But I just feel hopeless.  Like I'm not going to get better.  I don't really know what's wrong with me or how to fix it. 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

As I have before on this website, I believe you should go to someplace like the Mayo clinic where you would get a complete work up.  I know that all of us want to have faith in our doctors and don't want to think about seeing another one but nothing is more important, not pride, not anything but regaining your complete health.  Most probably the weight loss is from stress and you probably not eating correctly.  I hope all goes well.  Let me know. garnella.

• Posted

If you are not eating and losing weight then you must feel weak,tired and listless. Get rid of the supplements and take high dose vitamins that are recommended by your doctor
  • Posted

What you're describing sounds a lot like how I live my life. I had a colonoscopy about 2 years ago and was diagnosed with diverticulitis and IBS but not given much help to treat the problems, probably because there is no easy answer. I am also seeing my doctor next week to discuss the ongoing situation, prompted by rectal bleeding. At times I feel miserable and unable to enjoy a normal routine, and don't know what to do.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.