Problems with surgery results - on way to 2nd fix

Posted , 5 users are following.

A little history. During surgery on 2nd eye, Doc says he nicked something (not comforting) so I would have to use drops instead of the shot. It was a monovision procedure. After the distance eye was done, I found that straight lines weren't straight in some places. When reading license plates, a letter might be dropped or one might be slanted. His fix for this was a quick laser procedure to both eyes (10 minutes tops) that did in fact help part of the problem. I think he tried to trim the back of the new lens to remove a wrinkle with a laser procedure. Now, he may have helped the issue a little, but overall vision is worse. I can't read traffic signs until i'm too close in my opinion. Fortunatley he has a plan: PRK in a couple of months.

Anyone have experience with this sort of issue and is the PRK the right next step? My confidence isn't as high as it was when this all started 6 weeks ago. 

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I had both eyes done left eye in Feb right eye in April of this year. Right eye is great but my left eye is terribl! My vision went from 20/50 to 20/70 . not only can i not see clear my eye turned blue when i had brown eyes . i noticed the color change after right eye and asked the doctor 3 times why is it blue he snapped at me because i told him there had to be a mix up and i gor wrong eye. His response was he would insert a brown illens so my eyes matched. I blew up i told him i researched this before and NEVER heard of i ne eye turning a different color but i called the surgery center too. I believe i have the wrong IOL in my eye. I contacted my insurance and have to wait until j une 16 to see a different doc. If they tell me i have wring lens i am getting an attorney. This is a nightmare for me and I dont believe there is any explanation except he gave me someone else's lens.

• Posted

You might go back to your insurance company and ask if that is the soonest they can cover it. You might also ask them if you can see another doctor now and get reimbursed after June 16. The vision you quote won't even let you legally drive in the states. That would be a major problem for me. Waiting until June would not be an option. At least in my case, things aren't that bad.

• Posted

In terms of your vision going from 20/50 to 20/70,  is that your "best corrected vision",i.e. your vision if you were wearing glasses or contacts, or merely your uncorrected vision without glasses? The likely issue is tht the lens power is off and you were left a bit nearsighted or farsighted, or that you have residual astigmatism. There isn't an exact formula for determining IOL power, it is an approximation based on statistics from the eye measurements of past patients and is usually fairly accurate for those who had low prescriptions before surgery , but  even then it can be off a bit, and there is more of a risk of errors for those who had high prescriptions.  

After cataract surgery most people's vision should be correctible to 20/20 with glasses or contacts, or laser adjustment (prk or lasik or some variation of those). That is different from before surgery where even wearing correction vision would be degraded. If 20/70 is the best corrected vision, its possible there was a problem with the surgery, but also possible that there is some other eye health issue going on that you weren't aware of that is causing trouble now. Unfortunately coincidences do happen, with > 20 million cataract surgeries a year, some tiny fraction of them will have the bad luck for an unrelated eye issue to appear.

IOLs  aren't colored, they aren't like contact lenses where some come in colors (other than blue blocking IOLs, but the slight tint isn't visible outside the eye, the eye color is from the iris not the lens). Although there are rare slight shifts in color due to changes in reflected light (which would be nothing wrong with what the surgeon did, any doctor would have gotten the same result), that is rare and would likely be a small shift (some people's eyes have coloring that shifts a bit in different lighting even before surgery, so I suspect the rare cases would involve that). Unfortunately a more likely explanation is the bad luck to have some other eye health issue, e.g the AllAboutVision site notes:

"Note that if your adult eye color changes pretty dramatically, or if one eye changes from brown to green or blue to brown (called heterochromia), it's important to see your eye doctor. Eye color changes can be a warning sign of certain diseases, such as Fuch's heterochromic iridocyclitis, Horner's syndrome or pigmentary glaucoma."

There isn't more info on that page, since they moderate links I don't post links, people can google that quote if they want to.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.