problems with the back of my eyes.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Iv`e just had a routine eye check, & although the optician said my eyes are healthy, she`s noticed some changes to the backs of my eyes since my last test. She gave me a letter for my gp, & said that I might need a hospital appointment. She told me not to worry because these changes might be a normal part of aging, but I`m terrified. What could be wrong?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Catherine...dont be worried. As we age the retina can develop all sorts of features like pigmentation. Some changes are OK and some need attention by an ophthalmologist.  Whatever your optician has noted it has been picked up quickly so can be sorted out. Take the letter to your doctor and discuss whatever it says. Your GP will write to an ophthalmologist and include the letter or a copy of it.

The optician has said your eyes are healthy so thats a plus point. 

• Posted

Hi,I am currently going through some major eye issues so I greatly empathise. Why didnt the optician tell you more then that. Kind of left you hanging without info. Try not to be upset,opthamologist know much more about the eyes then they do. I could list some issues,but that would make you start googling things which you probably dont even have. Whens your apt? Please keep us posted. I hope all is ok.
    • Posted

I don`t know when my hospital appointment is because Iv`e only just given the note to my doctor.
  • Posted

Did you ask the doctor what it said,or did you just hand it to the receptionist?   if you dont hear anything after 2 weeks make sure the GP has sent a referral off to the Consultant.   

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.