Problems with varifocals

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am diabetic type 1 and recent tests suggest my eyes are "healthy". This is via optician and also the NHS annual check with the drops (although the nhs test is probably 9 months old).

However I have been having trouble with my varifocals such that I end up with headaches that need ibuprofen if I wear them for more than a few hours. These headaches go away fairly quickly if I take them off to read books for example and I do not get headaches if I use single distance lenses for computer use.

The opticians ran 3 eyesight tests over about 3 months and tweaked the prescription but in my opinion the tweaks were too small to account for any headaches and indeed they haven't gone away if I use the varifocals.

Even though I also have a pair of distance glasses now I really only use these for TV as I feel I need varying focus glasses when out and about.

The opticians seem to have run out of options and to be honest don't see why I should have problems with varifocals. To some extent this seems to be confirmed by internet searches where I can't find anyone else with this issue.

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on the problem or could suggest alternatives?

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Richard

i had this problem a few years ago and one of the opticians tried getting my lens from a different manufacturer.  It worked! No more headaches and no more sight problems.  Unfortunately I can no longer remember the name of the manufacturer but it’s worth asking your optician if he can get lens from somewhere else.

• Posted

Thanks for the tip. I need to try something so definitely worth a go although I suspect I will need to change opticians as I am with an obvious high street chain!

One thing I forgot to mention is that this issue I have has co-incided with 3 or 4 cases of vertigo although I cannot say it is linked because I wasn't aware of headaches relating to the varifocals beforehand.

• Posted

It was one of the High Street chains that tried the different lens though not the one who is usually on tv or sends leaflets to you.  When I first had the lens I suffered from vertigo and felt sick.  When the make of lens changed I had no more problems.  I never realised that subtle differences in manufacture could cause such problems.  Hope you get something sorted.
  • Posted

Thank you so much. Your symptoms sound identical to mine.

Is it possible/allowed for you to tell me the make of yours as I suspect I would need to give specific requests as my experience with the chain is that unless I can do this they won't understand what is needed as they had given up on offering alternative options

• Posted

Oops just saw you couldn't remember the name- sorry for asking!

• Posted

Do you know if you have standard varifocals or advanced varifocals.  The advanced are more expensive but can work much better.
  • Posted

They weren't the cheapest but will need to check I think some of the pricing might have been related to less relevant stuff like scratch resistant type things

• Posted

Have never bothered with scratch resistant as they too eventually scratch.  I do hope that you get the problem fixed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.