PROBLEMS WITH VIVID DREAMS AFTER USING PSYCHOATIVE DRUG

Posted , 2 users are following.

My name is Vini, and I'm 26 years old. About 3 years ago, I used LSD and had a very bad experience, pretty traumatic actually. One thing I remember is that at some point in the trip I felt sort of an electric shock in my brain, which was pretty scary. Since then, I've been having very weird and vivid dreams. The crazy thing is that I can remember every single dream that I have after I wake up and I even remember past dreams that I have. I know we might dream more than once a night, but I can remember at least one full dream, from start to finish every night. This freaks me out. Also, every dream has this unsettling feeling of D'javu. If I wake up, and decide to sleep again for 30 more minutes or so, the dream happens again, it's as if I'm having an immediate REM cycle. In the last 3 years, I tried to accept this and it was kinda of okay for a while, but recently, things started to get way worse to the point where I wake up feeling really exhausted and confused. And sometimes, I see things in my waking life that makes me remember the dreams. It's as if my dreams are being stored as real memories, and that is really messed up. Anybody can relate? I'd be really happy to get some tips and advice because here in my country, I don't think doctors can help me, they might say it's just anxiety.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Edited

hi,

did you only use LSD once? or were you using it recreationally? were there any other substances used? are you currently using any substances or on any medications? i ask these to see if there are other factors that could be contributing. when you say its gotten worse what do you mean by worse?

• Posted

Hey! I used LSD only once and had the first bad trip. A year later, I smoked a joint with my friends and that brought the same bad trip, even worse actually, but the weird dreams were already happening after the LSD trip. Nowadays, I just drink beer on the weekends. I'm not on any medication. By "It's gotten worse" I mean the dreams seem to be getting more and more intense, and my memory about these dreams is becoming really sharp, and sometimes these memories feel as memories of real events. If I keep a dream journal, I'm positive I will be able to describe 90% of the dreams I've had in detail. Another problem is me getting more and more tired because I feel like I'm not actually sleeping. It's kinda like living life, but in the dream world. I know my brain is pretty active during the dreams because I have to take decisions sometimes and stuff like that. I'm afraid these dream memories are taking up space in my brain, which might prevent me from using this memory for something else. I don't know.

• Edited

hi,

i use to work in the drug and alcohol field- doing prevention work. LSD is a very potent hallucnogenic substance. it seems like you had a pretty bad experience also known as a 'bad trip'. i am not sure how much you used but there are long term risk with using LSD. did you have any mental health issues before using LSD? do the effects only effect your sleep or do you notice trouble during the day?

Some people find it hard to shake off a bad trip and have trouble adjusting to reality, even long after the LSD’s effects have worn off. sometimes this can last for weeks, months, or years. i am not sure if you have reached out for help but it may be a good idea to seek professional help.

also it may be a good idea to re evaluate some life style habits-- try engaging in healthy habits. substances such as marijuana, alcohol etc may only may things worse and have negative effects on the mind and body.

• Posted

Hey! Thank you for your reply. I have read countless articles about LSD and watched tons of videos about people's experiences. I'm aware of the consequences so I'm never touching that substance again. It's an interesting substance, but it's not for me. It caused too much trouble in my life. I have anxiety and OCD so I believe that's the reason why the bad trip happened. However, I'm not suffering as much with the bad trip trauma during the day. Of course there are flashbacks and sometimes some anxiety and weird philosophical questions arise, but nothing that I can't deal with. The only thing that is really bothering me and affecting my life is the dreams because I'm waking up completely exhausted and I can't be productive during the day. That's why I'm here trying to find some tips or even find people that have had a similar experiences. Funny enough, when I drink alcohol, it seems to get rid of the vivid dreams. I still dream and still remember, but they become less intense and exhausting. Of course it's unhealthy and I don't recommend anyone do it. Maybe it's because of GABA. I will try to find some natural sedatives that have GABA, and take them at night to see if it helps. I'm also trying to treat my mental health issues to see if the dreams go away.

• Edited

hi,

alcohol is a depressant, so it slows down the nerve brain cells which is why the dreams are probably less intense. some drugs stimulate the central nervous system causing excitability. LSD does stimulate the CNS so with your dreams being vivid and intense that makes sense. i know you said you did LSD 3 years ago so i am not really sure if it is common to continue to experience these effects. did you look into HPPD at all? there are studies that show a woman had HPPD even after just using it once. treating the mental health issues is definitely a good idea. good luck and im sure in time and with the help of professionals with getting the MH under control things will get better!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.