Problems years after Gallbladder Removal Need Advice

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had my Gallbladder removed seven years ago and all has been fine until about six months ago! I started getting a pain on and off in my right side underneath my ribs! The pain is constant now! I feel bloated and uncomfortable after eating, also feeling nausea's at times! And often have a burning sensation in my right side to. I also suffer terrible flatulence and sometimes have to run to the toilet within minutes of eating. I have had blood tests done and my doctor suspects i might have a stone in my bile duct! I am awaiting a scan. The trouble is the pain killers the doctor prescribed are not doing anything to ease the pain now. Has anyone else experienced this? 

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I had my gallbladder out 5 years ago. Within 2 weeks I was in agony same pain as gallbladder pain. It was a stone in the bile duct. Now 5 years on for the last 2 months I have been experiencing pains on my right side constant. To the point I make myself sick with the pain. I had bloods done and awaiting the results of an ultrasound.

They prescribed my omeprezole (cant spell) but nothing changed.

• Posted

Oneprazole is prescribed to treat heartburn; I haven't heard of it being used to treat stomach pain.  I would see your doctor again and ask for painkillers or an antispasmodic to control your pain while you wait for your test results. Abdominal surgery can cause irritation and it is also possible that you have more stones. 

• Posted

Hi Zoe

The pain i have now although similar to the pain i had before the gall bladder was removed! This pain goes right through to my back and i get a burning sensation and feel so bloated and uncomfortable.

I am sorry to hear you are having trouble again! How did they remove the stone from your bile duct? was it done by keyhole surgery?

I am waiting for an appointment for an ultrasound its taking ages to come, everyday i am hoping  there will be a letter when i get home from work.

Keep us posted on your results! Hope you get sorted out real soon

• Posted

They done this by putting the camera down to remove it. Was the worst experience. They irritated my pancreas and I ended up with acute pancreatitis. In hosp for 2 weeks on antibiotics. This was just after my gallbladder op.

Had my ultrasound lady said my pancreas looks fine.. the parts she can see. So never seen it all.. which confuses me. She took loads of pictures of my abdomen and told me to book an app with my doc 7-10 days after scan (I had scan on thursday)

I was prescribed omeprezole but as I'm pregnant (10 weeks) they changed them to ranitide or something but told me to not take any medication until after the results of this scan.

Really worried as never been told to make an app with the doc after any ultrasound scans before on my body (had one on my throat a few years back as they thought I had thyriod problems) they told me there and then all was well but this time shes said book an appointment. Pain has settled down to a niggle and a feeling like muscular in my side which I can handle.

Hoping its something that can be resolved or managed. Timing hasnt been perfect this time should be a happy time with a baby on the way but its been stress and worry the past few weeks.

I hope you get your ultrasound through asap.

• Posted

Painkillers are the only thing that helps if I have pain.
    • Posted

Hi Zoe!

Try not to worry to much! I think with you being pregnant could be the reason they told you to make an appointment with the doctor! Its obvious you are bound to be more anxious with the baby on the way! and they will want to reassure you.

I saw my doctor this morning for stronger painkillers! She told me to phone the ultrasound department and ask if they could prioritize my appointment! I was at the hospital with my mum today so i popped in to ask them! I have my ultrasound booked for the 20th of October, so fingers crossed i will find out whats going on.

Will be thinking of you! Try to stay calm and relaxed.

• Posted

So I had my ultrasound appointment 10 days ago. I tried to get an app with my doc but having to wait 2 weeks.

I got a letter today asking me to make an appointment with the doctor.. i phoned and she said if i come and wait tomorrow morning then they will see me. I am now worried sick its something serious.

The pain is still in my right side. Dull but always there.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.