Procedures and Side Effects

Posted , 8 users are following.

I'm writing this because men today need to look and think about whatever procedures they plan on doing..And don't be forced by a doctor or rushed into anything. When you pick a procedure.    Look at the pros and cons of it.       Read all you can.  Remember what may help another man may not help you....... As you know I am not a fan of any procedure that cuts cores or lasers out any of the prostate.      Any of them should only be use when nothing else will work.. When your doctor talks to you make sure he has your feeling and fears in account   He should do what will help you but also what you feel is right for you.  If you have concerns he should listen and make you feel right not tell you that he is the doctor and will do the surgery the way he want and to stop wasting his time..  I have a friend that I have not seen in a year.  He moved away with his family and we lost track.  He just moved back to Florida. He got a hold of me and we went to lunch.  Now I know why I had not heard from him.  He had prostate cancer.  They did a 21 needle biopsy when it came back 10 out of the 21 came back with cancer cells.      The doctor told him that he had to have his prostate removed.  Never told him the size of the tomer.  Never told him what kind of cancer he had just that he had to have it removed.  So he did it.  The doctor did a Robotic Radical Prostatectomy with nerve sparing.  The doctor told him that everything will be the same only he will have retro.  Well he was so upset telling me this that he started to break down. He is only 50   He said is life is not the same and he wished he would have waited.  Sex is not the same he said.  None of the pills works on him and the only way he can get a erection is to give himself a shot in his penis.  He said that it last for about a hour.  But he said that he take him 1 1/2 to 2 hours to have a orgasm( Not the same has before )  Sometime he just gives up because he get tired and so does his wife.  He does have a very understanding wife but it is alot to bare.  I'm telling you this so you dont ruch into anything.  Get all the information you can.  There are some cancers that are slow growing that it take 10 years or more to cause a problem.  I told him to send a letter to the doctor and get all the information he can.  At 50 he should not have to go through this.  I told him that I am here for him if he need to talk.  Men today need a buddy to talk to.  Years ago men never talk about these problem.  I'm 61 and I don't think my father know what a prostate was.  We need to get all the information we can and pass it to other men.  Life is to short to have a procedure to fix a problem that cause more problems.  Thank you for reading and have a good day.   Ken     

2 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Ken - thanks for writing this but if you ever find  a doctor that will sit and listen and show genuine concern about his patient then give me his name and I'll visit him. All the doctors I have seen over the past 20 years about my BPH had the following in common: 1. They packed their patients into tiny exam rooms like sardines waiting for the "king" to enter and when he did we got maybe 10 minutes of his time before he flew out to the next one. 2. All the conversations were one way and if I dared to question them they would fly into a rage and glare at me. 3. They only pushed procedures they did and said it would cure all my problems. 4. If I tried their suggestions and it didn't work - which it never did but with bad side effects - they all said to "just give it more time". 

The last time I saw a doctor who cared about me was our family doctor 50 years ago who made house calls. You are so correct about what you write but where to find such a doctor? Thank heaven for this forum so we can educate each other with real experiences but BPH is a progressive disease and we only have so much time to figure it out and not make mistakes like your friend. Even the PAE I just had has not helped so far and my doctor says to "give it more time" as I now need to self-cath. I also was never told about a dry ejaculations before the procedure and now I also learned that PAE can awaken dormant prostate cancers. And I had one of the better doctors! It is like we are all walking through a mine field . Thanks again for your warning. Good luck to you. Neil

• Posted

Neil.  Where do you live.  I live in orlando florida.  I have a great a great urologist hes about 45 nice guy and he all ways fines time for me.  I just saw him on friday I had some concerns because I have a stricture and I had a urolift done april of last year sometime i have to force myself to pee.  I stand there and it take a while.  This is not all the time.  He did a scope on me and was with me for a good half hour.  I'm fine and the stricture did not get any bigger The implants are where he put them and my bladder is clear of anything.  He did tell me my prostate got smaller can't tell me why but it's a good thing.  PSA is good 0.7.  He was there answering my questions about some men on here.  If I need to know anything I send him a e-mail and he answers me with in a day.  Any concerns I have he allways puts me at ease.  I'm 61 and still doing great.  He keeps asking me about my sex life he what any man he take care of to have a full life.  He hass also told me that he does not do many turps anymore with the new procedure.  He said that a tup is a last resort.  One of the men on here I ask him about was Mark.  He has bad problems.  large prostate and 25 bladder stones.  He told me what he should do is a Mini Turp but this doctor in Califonia is a ass.  He was concerned about sex and retro.  The doctor told him that he will keep it in mind but he is the doctor and he will do it the way he want.  He's going to distroy his bladder neck.  He will be lucky if he can have sex at all.  I hope he goes with the other doctor.  I hope men remember to get all the information they can before it is to late.  PAE is not soppuse to cause dry orgasm it just the med make you have less.  I'm not sure when they do a PAE and they make the prostate smaller does the prostate stop producing fluid and you only have the sperm from the semical vassel.  I will have to read up on it.    When did you have your PAE.  Has your prostate gone down yet.  Let me know.  I would like to chat anytime with you.  Men have to stick together  Ken   

• Posted

Hi Neil,

You are so right about the doctors' behaviour.

I have bph and for last 4 months have a catheter in place. My urologist is pushing me for laser TURP. He does not give me details about the possible side effects. Basically telling me 'get it done'.

Uro prescribed avodart to squeeze the prostate to prepare for laser TURP surgery, but avodart makes one impotent. I guess that medicine may have a part in the case of scant ejaculation cited in the discussion.

Anyone took avodart before the surgery and what was it's impact? I plan not to take it.

Also what is pae?

FYI, I am in Canada.

• Posted

Hello Kenneth,and thanks for the info. Sure sounds like you have gotten lucky on finding a good Uro. I can tell you they are few and far between.

I had a failed PAE done In Jan of this year after trying to have the Urolift done, but was told I didnt qualify due to a large median lobe . If you think about it next time you talk to your doc, see if he has any experience with guys who have the median lobe. I have read on here that some docs have started doing the Uro lift on some guys who have it, and getting success. Or if you can send me his eamil, I could ask directly.

My prostate is not overly large, only 45, but I have lots of difficulty urinating, and have had some p[ast issues with prostatitis.

Thanks Joe

• Posted

Hi Ken and nkToronto,

Thanks Ken for your posts as they are very improtant and deal with subjects that are always on all of our minds. I hope you send your uro presents on his birthday and holidays because he sounds like a real gem. I live near Toronto like nk but gave up on the healthcare system a long time ago. When i refused to let my uro butcher me with a turp on a 300gm prostate he fired me. My family doctor gave me another uro in Toronto who only does GLL so guess what - he wants to do a GLL on a 300 gm prostate and promises me the moon and stars - I don't think so. So I paid the money and went to UNC for a PAE with Dr. Isaacson 4 weeks ago now but unfortunately there has been no imrpovement in my BPH and I now self-cath. I will return next week to UNC for a 3T-MRI to see what is happening. Here in Canada the 3T machines are only used for cancer and not BPH and the wait time is huge. Luckily I can afford all this up to a point. Ken - if things get worse for me I will write you and come down to see your uro for a consult and meet you - you are very kind. I have been on Avodart for 5 years and prior to that on Proscar for 5 years. My uro here never told me about the side effects and I have lived a nightmare for the pat 10 years thinking I had a wasting disease. My marriage and relationships have really suffered. It is impossible to get these doctors to honestly discuss the side effects of the drugs and procedures until it is too late. So thank G-d for forums like this one that empower us though the doctors bristle and go ballistic when confronted with my research - they just want one-way conversations where I say "Yes - sir". I'm thinking that self-cath is the way to go until new therapies are available as CIC returns control of our bladder to us and keeps the BPH from ruining the bladder/kidney system. Good luck and thanks to everyone. Neil

• Posted

<i>"He did tell me my prostate got smaller can't tell me why but it's a good thing. "</i>

I had a Urolift in July this year and during the assessment and determination of candidacy for the procedure the discussion went to long term expectations. We discussed the possible srinkage of the prostate and I sem to recall that he believed that this could introduce :'slack' in the implant function thereby, effectively, reducing the size of the space in the prostatic urethra and introducing some level of the original symptoms. Was this mentioned?

BTW...I'm now at 6 weeks post procedure and very happy with the outcome. 

• Posted

So am I bill.....I had to have them tighten in march because my prostate got smaller.  Still happy with the outcome.  Ken
    • Posted

Hi Neil,

I m in Oakville area and scheduled for a laser TURP. It is not Green Light. Its Contact Resolve laser surgery where Uro has more control and vaporises tissue by touch. Green Light in contrast sprays energy is a broader area. So far, Uro is talking all  nice things about the procedure and no side effects, quick recovery, and no bleeding. I am sceptical and have to see how it goes, though.

Do you know any one who went through this surgery?

• Posted

Hi nk - what are your BPH symptoms right now - like prostate size and presence of medium lobe and psa and need to self- cath and so on?

Did you get a second opinion and check other options?Good luck

Neil

• Posted

Hi Neil,

My prostate Size grew to 85cc completely blocking urine, so in emergency, catheter was put in. A month ago, catheter was removed to see if I can pee, but after 5 hours of misery, catheter was put back since not a drop came out.

Donot know about median lobe. How is that determined?

Psa is normal,so it's bph. I was reluctant asking my urologist for a second opinion for the fear of annoying him. What is the best way to request that? My family doctor said seeing another urologist may take months because of long appointment queues.

Appreciate if you can give me some useful suggestions.

• Posted

That is what they are saiding to you now  But what something goes wrong they don't know  Laser is just as bad  Still to many side effects Good luck  Ken

• Posted

Thanks for the info, Ken
    • Posted

Your welcome.  PAE is a procedure that they make the prostate smaller It's called  Prostate Artery Embolization.  It is done by a radiologist.  I don't know if it's being done in canada yet.  Is there anything else you can have.  I know canada is not up to par yet.  Don't have the turp  you will be sorry.  It take a long time to heal for some men.  Come to the US and have something else..Ken

• Posted

Ken,  I agree with what you say, but sometimes an operation is forced upon you with no other option as they cannot get a catheter in as was my case, so the TURP was done quickly and I now have no erections , ejaculation  and am incontinent. Don't think it could be much worse and Prostatitis does not help. The one thing I warn everyone about is make sure you get Antibiotics with a Biopsy otherwise Sepsis may kill you, I know as was an hour off death.  But I am still here and can live with most things.

• Posted

Sorry fror what happen.  Were you offerened anything else or did the doctor say that a turp was the only thing they can do.  I still don't think I would agree.  My urologist is great.  I know about Sepsis.  Had it in 2014 Like you the ER doctor told me that if I would have waited I would have gone into kidney failure.  Had it in my body from 4 to 6 weeks.  White blood count was over 25.000. I was geting bladder infection. Cause by a stricture.  Thats how I found my urologist.  He is great.  I had a a uro-lift done last year.  My doctor will not do a turp unless there is nothing else he can do. And he is a doctor that care he allways fines time for me and he also answers my question about anyone on here. Have you tryed a pump or the injection sometime they help.  I think anyman that has a turp has to make sure he can deal with the side effect.  Super is you need to talk I'm here for you.  We men have to stick together  Ken 

• Posted

Ken,  Not given any other option or warned of side effects as more concerned about passing water. There was not even the chance to explore the internet for other options or possible results. Am about to see a new Urologist with these problems and Prostatitis but he wants a contrast MRI scan and a Cystoscopy first before deciding a course of action.
    • Posted

Maybe this doctor will help you with all your problems.  I still would have said  no.  I will not give up control to a doctor to do anything.  I was peeing blood and had to have emergency surgery on my prostate.  I would not sign for surgery until I had the doctor sign a paper that my prostate was to stay intak.  He was not to cut on or remove my prostate.  He did sign it.  I told him that I will bleed to death if he did not sign.  I had 3 blood clogs around my prostate they burn them. He told me That he has never seen a patient like me.   Ken    
    • Posted

Well done Ken, I was just glad to be made comfortable again. Certainly do not want Prostate removed , and after having 2 lots of PE I am on blood thinning for life, so wary of procedures.

• Posted

I know what you mean.  I'm on Brilinta 90 mg 2X a day. Had a stent put in a few months ago 90% block artery.  It seam when you get older everthing fells apart.  Ken 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.