Proctitis and need answers

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi I was diagnosed with proctitis in November last year based on the findings on a sigmoidoscopy. I had a month history of rectal bleeding and mucus. I was sent away from the sigmoidoscopy with my report and a prescription for asacol suppositories.no explanation just told to go away and wait for the biopsy results and a follow up appointment. After around 3 weeks the bleeding and mucus got less but it's never completely gone away .I can go weeks with nothing then have a few bad days .My biopsy results came back normal and I'm still waiting for my follow up appointment which is on the 10th of April. I've seen my gp a few times and it was suggested I get tested for STI's to rule them out as the cause which all came back clear .I'm just so confused . Do flares just last a few days or have I never come out of the flare ? Also I have noticed on a few occasions recently what look like orange grease floating on the toilet water .is this connected ? Sorry for the long post

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I pay more attention to the type of food I eat these days. I am sure there is a connection. I discovered apple cider caused a flare up in me, the next day, after flare ups had subsided for a few days. Also Goji berries, I used to take, with the same reaction. In my case, anything acidic (Coffee included). As we get older, the digestive system needs more attention.

Cheers 

• Posted

Do you have an IBD team/nurse you can speak to until your appt? My consultant practically said the same to me, 'it's just proctitis' and sent me away with pentasa suppositories and the report! When I tried to ask questions he said he was going for his break and I should speak to the crohns and colitis team at my local hospital... I rang them the next day and they explained what proctitis is and how to take the suppositories. The team have nurse prescribers so they can sort out treatments etc.

One of the nurses told me UC is a very individual disease but the aim is the same for every patient, no blood, no mucus and no living on the toilet during maintenance. Although you can't expect to have 'normal' bowel habits you shouldn't have such urgency in maintenance, so I would say you haven't stopped flaring yet. Do you do/eat anything different before the bad days?

• Posted

Thanks for your reply . There has been no mention of an ibd nurse so I have no idea . I have never had any urgency and was treated for hemmoroids for a start .even the consultant was sure that was the cause of bleeding . I can't think of any particular food I'm eating on certain days that could be the cause , I've even kept a diary for this reason , the only thing I have noticed is there is often a little blood if I've not had a bm the previous day .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.