Proctitis pain

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi guys. I was diagnosed with proctitis 12/13 years ago and was extremely ill with it. Since then I've had small flares that I treat myself with prednisone rectal foam. 

3 weeks ago my life changed. I had gastroenteritis on the Tuesday evening and went without any meds until the following Monday. I went to gp he confirmed gastroenteritis and signed me off work. I then started using my prednisone foam on the weds after seeing gp. I only used it because I had pain in my lower left abdomen. Since then I've had the most horrendous pain. A different pain to before. I've been in touch with IBD nurse on Monday this week and she told me to have prednisone oral steroids. 8 in a morning. I felt abit better yesterday(day 1 ) of tablets but today the pain is at the top of my stomach too. I'm waiting now fir her to ring me bk to. Like this yet more meds. This time enemas to put up at night. I'm waiting also fir an appointment to come through to be seen in clinic. I may have to have a colonoscopy. Scared stiff! 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

HI Deborah please Don’t be scared. It sounds as though the inflammation Maybe further up your bowel now.  A colonoscopy will confirm what’s going on. If you can get someone to drive you to & from that appointment you may opt for sedation during the procedure. That way you’ll be more relaxed throughout it. They’ll need to investigate to give you the appropriate medication & then you’ll soon be feeling a lot better. B

• Posted

I hope so. I keep thinking the worst. Colostomy bag! I can't help worrying about it. 

Thanks for your positive comment. Do u have UC/ IBD? 

• Posted

HI Deborah  please don’t worry if you’ve managed your proctitis for 12 years this is prob just a hiccup due to gastroenteritis

I had op in Feb of this year & have a bag! Now I’ve got proctitis - I find that worse.  They won’t do anything you don’t want. B 

• Posted

Hi love, 

I had to ring IBD nurse this morning as I've started with a burning sensation in my stomach. She told me I should be on calcium supplements and lansoprozole. I've stated the lansoprozole this morning and I get my prescription for the other stuff later. 

Did u go private fir your care? I'm just thinking because I might not get an appointment in clinic till after xmas! What would u suggest? I'm being referred as a new patient because I haven't been to clinic fir years as I've managed my proctitis so far! 

Cheers

• Posted

Hi Deborah -again!

I have/ had ulcerative colitis. Had op in February of this year. Now have a Stoma bag but have proctitis in rectal stump. I personally find that more difficult to deal with than the Stoma. Maybe another op next year to remove rectal stump. B

• Posted

Hi, sounds like u have had a tough time. I'm so sorry to sound so negative. I just find everything so hard at the minute. 

I hope I can start feeling a bit better just so that I can get bk to having a life. U take care of yourself. Thanks so much for chat 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.