Proctocolectomy and Ileostomy Recovery Time

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi I have been told i need to have a total proctocolectomy and Ileostomy. I really want it so I can get back to having a normal life again but my only concern is work, I can't afford to go on SSP so just wondering what recovery time is like for this operation. Any advice would be great. TIA :-) 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I had the same op 12 months ago, wish I gone further down the route of asking about a reversal at a later date. Felt really rough the first few days in hospital, stayed in 11 days and I need the time. Ended up having 9 weeks and wish I could of had longer, do an Admin roll so nothing strenuous and went back fazed return for 4 weeks Still feel really tried but have been told I will have to live with that, not all syphtoms disappear for everyone
  • Posted

Hi angela97495 - I had both these operations but 15 months apart. My recovery from the first operation was hampered by the fact I was so ill beforehand. It took me 4 to 6 weeks to recover but still suffered with UC in the Rectal Stump. My recovery from this was much quicker and I travelled to Italy for a Wedding 7 weeks later. I suffered with UC for 5 years and had every drug imaginable pushed my way including a last ditch infusion of Infliximab which made thing worse. What I can say is that I have got my life back, tomorrow I’m helping a mate who farms sheep with his hay baling. I eat and drink what I want and find managing the Stoma straightforward. Very occasionally I reflect on my situation with some remorse but soon pull through when I remind myself of the misery I had with chronic UC, the flares and the side effects of the drugs. I don’t do paid work but have many voluntary irons in the fire.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.