Professionals dont seem to want to give me advise on working with a prolapsed disc

Posted , 2 users are following.

Wonder if anyone can help me. Has anyone been given advice on what not to do when you have a herniated disc? I know this probably seems like an odd thing to ask but I just don't know what to do for the best when it comes to working. Whenever I broach this subject with medical professionals they just try and by pass it as quickly as possible. I get the distinct impression that everyone just thinks I'm trying to get out of work. Quote "well the good thing about pain is you can just work through it. Its not like having a broken leg"

?The fact is I'm not trying to get out of work but I have been suffering with a severe c6 disc prolapse for the past 18 months and have tried everything and the pain continues as well as numbness down my right arm and in my fingers. I have been given naproxen, Amitriptalene, and gababpentin. I have had 8 weeks of physio, and have recently been given a nerve root block (which has helped with pain but still cant feel my arm) All of the meds have made me drowsy. I have a very manual handling job, that requires a lot of heavy lifting, I have explained this to my doctors and all I want to know is are there any tasks I should avoid doing at work to help fix the problem? Everyone has told me to continue to work as normal, which I have. I have told my boss now after I have finally been given a MRI scan to confirm the problem and he is trying his best to accommodate me, he has asked me what department I would rather work on but I don't know what to tell him. Any Advice?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi You have had a rough time. Firstly I used to be an Occupational Health nurse and quite frankly you should not be doing heavy manual work and that is a contributory factor to your problem. You may also have work relayed upper limb disorder and people have sued their companies for a great deal of money. Even using a computer excessively can cause this condition. The reason in my opinion that you are not getting any advice is perhaps because healthcare professionals are reluctant to advise you to change your job etc and also means you going off sick .

Is there an occupational health dept where you work? 

f you had an accident at work I would seek free legal advice etc

Take care 

• Posted

Meant to write. You should get a physio assessment done preferably privately to strengthen your case. Avoid lifting, stretching twisting movements. do gentle exercises as advised by physio - to strengthen the neck and core muscles.

​TENS machine may help with pain. Avoid Neurontin and lyrica they can increase the pain. Also  codeine can lower the pain threshold .  Get a good healthy diet and avoid bending as well. The physio can work out a regime of gentle exercises to help strengthen your neck and back muscles and protect the herniated disc which may settle down in time. It is important to stretch the muscles but only a physio can properly advise you.Good luck. j 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.