progesterone

Posted , 4 users are following.

anybody had a bad effects after taking progesterone ?i was taking prometrium for more than a month now at first it was helping i sleep more than i used to be and hot flushes not as more but still i have the mood swing but it stop working so i went back to the doctor i asked if i can double dosage so lastnight i took 200mg and this is it uts almost morning now and i didnt.sleep at all zero sleep omg i need help i feel like im going crazy

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I never taking anything my sister tell me to go through it naturally because all the med have bad side affects. I am 48, I start in my early 30, now I am going through he'll losing weight, upper back pain, dizziness, Joint pains can't sleep waking up all through the night ringing in my ears .Lost appetite .

• Posted

hi kim we have the same symptoms my joint sore too i just turned 48 last sunday and i havent had period for maybe 7 months now ...i can take all the symptoms but not sleeping make me crazy i did not sleep at all lastnight the not sleeping is the worst symptoms im dealing sinced i turned 40 i had problem sleeping on and off for 8 yrs and now the hot flushes and mood swing and anxiety just had it recently
  • Posted

Janita, when you say bad effects are you referring to no sleep last night, or are there other things you are feeling?  Typically progesterone has a sedative effect.  Women can get depressed, sleep a lot, and feel very sluggish (like they can't get out of bed)   

• Posted

my concern more on not sleeping lastnight and i have more symptoms that i can handle the not sleeping is killing me my brain doesnt shut off and anxiety too when i tried closing my eyes i start feeling cold sensation on my chest my back and my shoulder i dont if it is anxiety or heartburn
  • Posted

Anxiety can be a real problem.  I have known many women who couldn't turn their mind off and sleep.  Could you possibly go back to the 100 mg and see if it helps?  Are you also taking estrogen?  

• Posted

I should have mentioned that you took quite a bump in progesterone.  No doubt doubling the amount had a negative effect.  
    • Posted

im only taking progesterone no estrogen ...maybe double dosage not good ...wednesday night when i start taking double dosage but i took it 2 hours apart and then i took otc sleeping pills too since i started noticing that the progesterone not working i dont know if the progesterone help me or the sleeping pills help me sleep but last night when i took the double dosage of progesterone at the same time it didnt work so i took sleeping pills but both didnt work ...im so depressed sonhard when u cant sleep the whole night ans everybody in the house is sleeping feel so alone
  • Posted

I take a prostegen tablet but not that high a dose. 3 times a day and at the money it works fine for me. Stopped the bleeding, stopped the sickness feeling and hot seats at night . Ibs had improved and no mood swings , well not that I've noticed . Maybe see how f you can try a different one. I'm on norithesonee

• Posted

im going to see my doctor today ...i hope.he can gave something for my sleep problem ...i havent bleed for 7 months now
  • Posted

Janita, sorry to not remember your status.  Are you in menopause?  Or simply perimenopausal?

• Posted

Janita,

As you know menopause is only diagnosed after a full 12 months after your last period.  (There's a real no brainer!)   But you are 7/12th of the way there.  Obviously your estrogen levels are strong enough to create a period any more.  And while it's possible to have a random bleed, at this step of the game, odds are you are probably done with periods.  

Taking progesterone at this time could possible counter productive.  I can only assume that the reason you started it was for sleep?  Because I've never heard of a physician giving a women progesterone who hadn't had a period in 6 months.  Just guess here.  But what did it seem to help the month you were on it?  

• Posted

yeah i was helping me for a month i was sleeping good and not too many episodes of hot/cold flushes and i dint get headaches too but it didnt then help with my mood swing and just in time when i turned 48 my sleeping problem came back and new symptoms too like joint pain ...the.not sleeping is the only worst it get worser aince this week like i cant fall asleep so i went to see my doctor so he gave zopiclone to sleep it help me sleep and i still taking my prometrium it just wierd coz if i take prometrium i cant tell if it still helping or not i feel like i have more hot/cold flushes if i take it so today i did not take any of my medication so i cant sleep but my hot and cold flushes seems slowing down and no joint paint omg should i stop taking prometrium ? omg 2:00 am.now still wide
    • Posted

I'm a little curious what your doctor said about taking the progesterone since you haven't had a period in 7 months?  

Obviously something is really off with your chemistry, or you wouldn't be having these random symptoms.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.