Progesterone cream?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been on evorel 50 patches since my total hysterectomy 3 years ago. I have started to get a few hot flushes and wonder if the hrt has lost its effect on me. I also have put weight on my hips and waist. My libido is an absolute zero! And I have been getting headaches daily (have been told it could be stress as I lost my lovely dad 3 months ago) I have now read that our bodies need progesterone even without a uterus and wondered if anybody uses this as well as oestrogen only hrt?

I know you can get combined hrt but I don’t want to change my patches, I wondered if using the cream does help or is there side effects using progesterone cream?  ( I had everything taken away during my hysterectomy) 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

When I use patches I use Estraderm MX 100.  I too had a total hysterectomy about 26 years ago.  I am currently back on oestradiol implanted pellets.  When my dr insisted I use the progestin (provera) for 'balance', my oestrogen lost its effectiveness and I was back to severe head sweats, etc.  Finally, after searching medical research I found that progesterone is an antagonist to oestrogen and that is was causing my problem, and that surgical menopause does NOT require 'balance'.  I refused to take any more Provera and after about 3 weeks my oestrogen kicked in again.

This is my experience.  You might need more oestrogen instead.

• Posted

Thank you sheryl, I feel once you have hysterectomy that’s it, I ve read to have your bloods tested regularly to make sure the balance is correct but have never been offered anything like this. My doctor just keeps saying after 52 years old I should come off hrt, soho keep away and just have a repeat prescription 
    • Posted

Google "surgical menopause" and hopefully you get the same website I have read.  I am 66 years old and I am never going off it.  I had to convince my gp but she knows how important it is to me now.  So I hope she sticks around.

Also google something like "what is optimal oestrogen for menopause symptoms?".  Hopefully you will get a para from a Research Gynecologist from Leicester University Hospital who says sometimes up to 1200 bpl/L (sorry guessing this measure) to eliminate menopause symptoms.  Print these off for your dr to read.

Good luck.

Moderator comment: I have removed product/company names as we do not allow repeated posting of these in the forums. If users wish to exchange these details please use the Private Message service.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.