progesterone effect on uterus??

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi ladies. can anyone confirm is taking progesterone supposed to keep the womb lining thin? from what i can find on internet it sounds like it has that effect. reason i want to know is I've recently had a transvaginal ultrasound due to prolonged & irregular bleeding (I'm peri btw).  I am on low dose hrt of estrogel - just 1 pump nightly , & utrogestan capsules for 12 days month. i also have the depo provera progesterone injection for contraception(can't be used as the progesterone part of my hrt as it's unlicensed for that use hence the utrogestan capsules).

I have been on the depo injection for 4yrs, & only started getting erratic & prolonged periods last 2yrs so its not the depo causing it.

My ultrasound has come back with thickened womb lining of 11mm & endometrium & myometrium appear merged (report wording). sonographer has recommended gynae assessment of uterus.  I just thought progesterone was supposed to keep the lining thin??? anybody know?  I have other concerns obviously but cannot do anymore until some gynae follow up done, but would like to know what effect progesterone "should" be having on the womb lining. 

Any advice or comments welcomed girls.   xx

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi I'm also on norethesterone as had a 11 mm lining but you have to remember where your cycle was at time of scan,it can vary tremendously throughout the month.if your period is due it can be very thick and once period has arrived thin right down.hope this helps Michelle xxx

• Posted

Hi Michelle. Thanks for your reply hun.  The problem is my bleeding is erratic, so although i have a cycle of when i take my hrt on my calendar, my bleeding is so irregular/prolonged it is not in sync with when you would expect to bleed if you get my drift.  for instance when i take my 12 days of progesterone hrt in the month , you would expect a bleed  several days after you've finished the 12days of progesterone.  but like this month i starte bleeding DURING the 12days of progesterone & so far been bleeding for a week.  the bleed before that was 3wks long.  there is just no pattern to it at all, hence the tv ultrasound & monitoring with my gp.  if i had a proper cycle it would be easier to understand when the womb lining would naturally be thinner or thicker like you said.  

Thanks again hun. 

xxx

• Posted

Hi Looloo,

I do agree with Michelle's thoughts that it depends on when you did the ultrasound to measure the lining.  Your irregular cycle may make this difficult. Possibly try to do one right after a period which would give your doctor some idea of the estrogen vs progesterone effects on your uterus.   And it may be that you need more progesterone to help offset the estrogen you are taking.  

Sorry I can't be more help.  

• Posted

it would be very hard to synchronise the hospital to do this as i bleed so irregularly, but i get what you say gailannie.  the thing is i am thinking i am getting quite a lot of progesterone through the depo shot plus my hrt versus a small amount of estrogen (only 1 pump of gel nightly) so in my mind its not all adding upto "normal". thankyou for your reply.   xx

• Posted

I think you're fine personally as you're all over the place and the lining is not shedding regularly once a month,try not too worry xxx

• Posted

thankyou hun. all over the place - true!! it's bizarre as despite my current stresses of being on the verge of losing my job due to chronic bowel illness, financial worry as only on ssp that runs out in 2wks, & now this womb stuff, i am actually very sound mentally ( with regards to anxiety & depression) & tackling my problems lucidly & with perspective!!!!!! (i was the opposite before my low dose hrt started in april nearly losing my job for losing my temper at a manager!!)  its so hard to fathom.  i will try not to worry too much as i have done what's in my control. i will push for that gyane appt if i don't hear anything next week.  thankyou so much for your reply & reassurance hun.

xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.