Progesterone only

Posted , 7 users are following.

I saw the hormone doctor yesterday who says my estrogen levels are good but my progesterone is low. She is recommending that I go on bio progesterone ( started last night). Cortisol is high so she is also suggesting DHEA and cortisol manager. Is anyone else just on progesterone and what did it do to anxiety levels? I already feel like my central nervous system is in overdrive all day long.

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

• Posted

Jen, from what I understand progesterone should have a calming effect. I'm currently taking 200mg at night of oral natural progesterone. But my bio creams will have it in as well as estrogen and testosterone. I haven't started my cream yet, hopefully I'll get it today. My doc didn't say anything about DHEA or cortisol though. What will you take for that?

• Posted

The DHEA is for the cortisol. The cortisol is your stress hormone. If it's too high it means you are in constant fight or flight. She is recommending DHEA and a cortisol manager ( which is a mixture of things), as well as healthy eating, and stress management techniques like deep breathing and yoga.

• Posted

Hi Jenn. Did she do a blood test for your hormone levels?
    • Posted

No not a blood test. I did a 24 hour urine collection. Everything got tested in including different estrogens, progesterone, testosterone, thyroid, cortisol / adrenals.
    • Posted

I just read that DHEA is testosterone. Is that right?
  • Posted

Hi Jen I'm on a prostegen tablet - norithesone. I take it all the time with no breaks on gynaecologist advice . I've found I'm a lot calmer, no mood swings no bloatedness improved ibs in fact at the moment it's working quite well. I have been getting some bits of bleeding which could be breakthrough , an erosion of the polyp I'm waiting to have removed . See how you get on everyone reacts differently. They want me to have the coil or ablation

• Posted

Hi pudds

how long have you been on norithesone? Ive been taking it for 3 months now and my gynie said i have to stop now i was just wondering how long you can actually take it because im worried about stopping it and all my problems returning 😖

• Posted

I started taking it June 2015 with a break every month which was horrendous, saw a gynae consultant in sept who said I could take it for 3 month then gave a break. Had hysteroscopy and blood test saw the main gynae doc in may 2016 who said I could take it continuously. He would prefer me to have the coil or ablation but I don't want either of them and as at the moment only getting good side effects he said I can stay on them. Due to have a polyp removed then see what happens after that. I'm worried about stopping them and if all my symptoms come back

• Posted

Thanks for the info pudds 🙂 I finish on wednesday to be honest im worried so will have to wait and see i suppose 😖 Its been the best 3 months ever while taking those pills its worrying me to stop i was taking them for adenomyosis the pain has been loads better im hoping i can stay on them a while longer thank you for your reply hope you feel better soon x

• Posted

Thanks, good luck , I would expect quite a heavy bleed after a few days of stopping them. Maybe go and see your doctor and see if you can stay on them. Let them know how well you have felt. Let me know how you get on
    • Posted

Oh no heavy bleed 😫 Lol i will see the doctor see what he says hopefully he will let me stay on them fingers crossed thank you for replying i will let you know how i go. 🙂

• Posted

If you are doing well on them why on earth would you go off?????? Demand to stay on????
    • Posted

I dont want to go off them suzanne but unfortunately the doctor told me they could only be for 3 months im really not sure if they can be taken long term or not i will have to ask i dont really know of anybody that has used these for a long time i dont know if they are safe for long term use i think i need to do abit of research 🙂

• Posted

Hi Jen where your dhea levels checked? Be careful with dhea. I was on and off it for a number of years as my adrenals had stopped producing it due to medication I had taken for another medical condition. The difficulty with dhea is that we do not know what our bodies will convert it too and unfortunately it can convert to estrogen so if your estrogen levels are good you may become estrogen dominant which happened to me and I felt worse after a number of months taking it. Make sure your doctor is regularly checking your hormone levels. X
    • Posted

I had them checked at a women's clinic. That's interesting what you say about the DHEA. She said that I should take it to help with the testosterone which was very low. I haven't started it yet though because she said I should take zinc for two weeks before starting it so that it blocks it going to a certain type of testosterone....I will ask her about the estrogen thing.

• Posted

Yes dhea is a precursor to testosterone and estrogen. It didn't boost my testosterone levels which are extremely low but it increased my estrogen levels. Unfortunately none of us know what our bodies will convert it too. I'm not sure of your age but I have to also tell you I became pregnant from it too!! It is also used to treat infertility in some women!!

• Posted

Well I am 49 so unlikely to get pregnant...smile how do you know if you become estrogen dominant? I know currently my estrogen numbers were quite a bit higher than my progesterone.
    • Posted

Hi Jen, your doctor seems to know what their doing. Testing through 24 hour urine collection tells a lot about our hormones and what we need. Did your doctor prescribe bio identical progesterone? Not unusual for your progesterone to be depleted at this stage of life. Once our periods end it hits bottom. 

I've been on bio identical estrogen/progesterone and testosterone for a yr and half. All tested through urine and bloodwork and regularly tested to adjust where needed. I feel great!  I believe the key to success is staying away from synthetic hormones and using bio identicals. I'm on many supplements as well to compliment my hormone treatment. Part of the battle is actually finding a doctor to run hormone testing and then know how to treat. Sounds like your in good hands. 

• Posted

Most of us are estrogen dominant in Peri due to fluctuation of hormones. Testosterone and progesterone drop at a much higher percentage than estrogen causing an imbalance in the ratio of one to another which causes a lot of our symptoms. Estrogen usually doesn't fall until the year prior to periods stopping. As someone else said it sounds like your doctor knows what they are doing. I live in Ireland and we don't have great access to treatment other than mainstream synthetic hormones due to regularatory issues with a lot of women travelling to the UK for biodentical treatment although I hear there maybe a clinic here soon. Dhea can only be prescribed by a medical doctor here as it's listed as a banned substance!! I know it's available over the counter in many countries. I attend a woman's health clinic and had a saliva panel over a whole cycle which was very informative. I think the real issue for many of us is finding a doctor who really understands hormones and knows what they are doing. I wish you well and hope it all works for you. Good luck xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.