Progesterone or estrogen too high?

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi ladies

Let me explain my situation:

I've been on Evorel 50 patches and utrogestan tablets which I take for 14 days of the month and then I have a bleed.

I have been on it for roughly 4 months now.

It has stopped my sweats which is brilliant.

However I am very wound up like I'm stuck on autofast. Have a racing heart with palpitations which I am now on a low dose of beta blocker(propranolol) My doctor said my pulse rate was 127bpm which I knew. My whole body including my ears buzz all the time. I don't sleep well even though I must be shattered. It just feels like loads of adrenaline. It's really horrible. I take Sertraline for anxiety already. Been on it 3 years. All this seems different. I have read up a lot on too much estrogen or too much progesterone .I am 46 and have been going through all the horrible peri symptoms badly for 8 months. The anxiety and racing thoughts are terrible. Could the HRT not be balanced?

I am going to the doctor AGAIN tomorrow or Thursday. They always pass it off as me being anxious.

Thankyou for reading xx

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Next
  • Posted

HI Michelle, from my experience being on HRT 7 months. It makes me calm and no anxiety. I take progesterone 100 mg and estrogel .06 bioidentical which is better for you. The dose is to high. Tell your Dr your symptoms and the other medicatons you are taking. You should take the medication before going to bed as well. I hope this helps.
    • Posted

Thankyou. Is estrogel 06 different to evorel patches? Do you think the estrogen could be too high? Xxx
    • Posted

Something seems to high. I take low doses of both. We as woman produce enough estrogen in our bodies even in menopause. Did you do a hormone test? I am no doctor but it seems it is not sitting with you well if you are having that anxiety. I took HRT because I had so much anxiety.
    • Posted

No I didn't have a test. I had anxiety before that's part of the reason I went on it. I thought it would improve .

• Posted

Not all women produce enough or even 'any' estrogen in our bodies during or after menopause.  Mine is zilch and I am always struggling to keep sufficient estrogen in my body even with hrt. I use the highest level that I can get.

• Posted

Oh this is so confusing. I haven't a clue which way it is then. A trip to the doctor tomorrow or Thursday. The doctor's I see are useless ??

• Posted

HI Michelle,

Try to get a hormone test to see the estrogen and progesterone level in your body. Do you see a gynecologist or even see a naturapath? If that is a choice for you.

• Posted

Michelle, either your dosage is too high, or the type of HRT you are on is not suiting you. Did you try any natural alternatives before Dr put you on the Evorel?

Black Cohosh, Evening Primrose Oil and Isoflavonoids can all help with mood, night sweats, hot flashes and a few other symptoms. 

You need to refer back to your doctor and work out a plan to see whether you would be better off them for a while and try OTC alternatives, or whether a dose reduction would be best.

Hope you have some relief soon!

• Posted

michelle, I have asked the same questions to doctors.  ask them for a lower dose patch evorel 25, and try that for a while.   I am having full hormone panel done this week, at the height of symptoms because I want to see what the two are while I am at my worst.  So they've done them.  Then I can say for definite that it is too high oestrogen causing anxiety attacks and I believe too low progesterone.  When i tried the evorel patch (50) I felt mad, anxiety overload.  Because you've been on it a while, I would ask for the lower dose patch, or cut them in half so that's 25 instead of 50?

• Posted

Hi

Well the doctor was useless. All she said was did I want to up my Sertraline and I said no. I asked about the HRT being adjusted and she said the best thing is to up the estrogen to 75mg and reduce the utrogestan to 100mg. She said reason I'm anxious is possibly too much progesterone and not enough estrogen. I'm totally confused now with what you said about lower dose. It's made isn't it? How old are you?

• Posted

Hi Michelle46271

You are not alone I am totally confused with all the different side effects medication and advice. What I can give you is what seems to work for me you seem quite young at 46 I was 51 and I couldn't stand the night sweats and particularly the anxiety attacks at night that kept me awake. I have been on propranolol for the last 25 years but I still had palpitations at night due to the menopause so I wouldn't worry about taking those however I had to do something and my last Resort was to go on HRT. I am on everol Conti which is a combination of oestrogen and progesterone (lowest dose) and it actually seems to work no night sweats maybe a tiny bit of anxiety but not enough to worry about although this is my first three months so far so good although I have experienced quite a lot of bleeding but apparently this is normal in the first few months don't feel a nuisance at the doctors that's what they're there for and that's how I feel, but this is our bodies and we have to live with this horrible change X

• Posted

Is evorel conti progesterone and estrogen all in one ? I have patches for the estrogen and a tablet for the progesterone
    • Posted

Hello this is my first time on a forum. I am 56 went through menapause 10 yrs ago and did not go on hrt and was fine taking soy tablets for occasional night sweats. Gradually went off had no symptoms. All of a sudden 3 months ago wicked hot flashes, nausea, dizzy anxious mess. After having blood checked 2x to conclude it was hormone issue. Went on Mimvey 3 weeks ago and dealing with the symptoms which they say will get much better soon when body adjusts. Early am hot flashes, heart palpitations anxiety, nausea. Anyone gone through this? TY
    • Posted

Hi Karen, is Mimvey a hrt? When you say you went through menopause ten years ago do you mean your periods stopped then? Have you been taking anything in the last ten years apart from soy? It does seem very unlucky to be suddenly have all the symptoms when you thought it was all over with!
    • Posted

Mimvey is HRT. Yes my periods stopped 10 yrs ago most likely because I had been on medroxyprogesyerone shots for birth control. Yes I had only taken soy but should have been on hrt because I was having symptoms just not hot flashes and i thought well this is the way it is ay my age. Over active bladder, painful intercourse, not sleeping well, dizzy..... Looking back over the past several years. Then the symptoms were worse than ever, I guess my body finally said now your hormone levels should really go down. I have been told the first month is difficult but then should improve. The first week I felt great. Second and third week more symptoms again. Looking forward to get through this next week. They say 60% of women give up before their body adjusts to hormone replacement.
    • Posted

That's good to remember, to keep going with the hrt for for a couple of months to give hormones a chance to adjust. I'm hoping to be prescribed hrt on thurs. I have a doctors appt. Hope you have a good outcome with yours.

• Posted

Tell him you want hrt. My doctor says all women should be on them to help your body function. My skin and vaginal issues already show improvement!!! This am no heart palpitations yeah!!!!! Good luck . Keep me posted.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.