Progesterone post-menoapusal but on pill and have periods

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, the nurse phoned to tell me my blood test shows my progesterone levels are post menopausal. I think that sounds good but I'm perplexed because (1) I'm on the contraceptive pill and have a regular full on 4 day period each month and (2) I'm only 48 and my mother was 54 when she had her last period (she wasn't on the pill). Would love to hear your knowledge please

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Please excuse spelling - terrible eyesight!
  • Posted

I'm puzzled by this as post menopausal surely means you would not need to be on the contraceptive pill? Young to be post menopausal , when i got tested it was oestragen levels showed i was post menopausal? Not sure if this helps? exclaim

• Posted

Hi. I went on the birth control pill a few years ago, for birth control. I visited the doctor recently and requeted a blood test because I was curious to know what my hormones were up to as I had been reading a bit about menopause lately. It turned out my progesterone is registering at post menopausal levels. This seems strange to me as the other relevant hormones were all pretty normal. A younger friend of mine her progesterone also used to be very low but now she uses an IUD and her progesterone has gone back to normal. The nurse I spoke to on the phone didn't really seem to know why my results were like this

• Posted

Well i am quite a bit older than you, Maybe ask again re results? Also post menopausal you would surely not get a period ? frown

• Posted

Yes it seems weird. One friend suffested the birth control pill itself creates the period
    • Posted

If you are on the pill, you will continue to get periods.
    • Posted

I was on the pill until I was about 52. The doc said my periods are not going to stop until I go off. I went off, and nothing since.I had already gone through menopause.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.