Progesterone SR vs regular Prometrium

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello everyone,

I started taking generic Prometrium 100mg approximately 4 months ago for severe insomnia, low moods for no reason, GI issues, hair loss, an headache pain behind eye. My progesterone was tested and was very low compared to my estrogen. I took it every day for the first month, then was switched to 14 days on/14 off because my obgyn said this more closely mimics the natural way progesterone is released in our body. It was like a miracle for my sleep and low moods. However, on my days off, the sleep would get a bit worse, and I was still having GI issues. I went to see an obgyn who was more educated on the bioidentical hormones and she is suggesting I take Progesterone SR 150mg EVERY day because she feels I am estrogen dominant and that is what is causing my symptoms. I have only taken it for 2 days so far, but the sleep hasn't been nearly as good, and I am having some low moods during the day. Has anyone else had experience with both of these modes of taking it? Any opinions on what worked better?

Also, has anyone who has been on Progesterone long term experienced any negative effects when stopping? I am only 43, so I have a LONG road ahead of me. Thank you!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi KeyKey, from your post I'm assuming you are not doing any estrogen, only the progesterone, and still having periods. I also did some progesterone in perimenopause, however I did it vaginally. It helped even out my cycles and make them more regular.

There are so many ways of taking progesterone, and sometimes it's just finding the right delivery and amount that works for you. Generally, they say it takes two weeks to feel the effects, and three months for the total effect. So it's difficult to tell much after two days.

I always did the progesterone in the final two weeks of my cycle. However, I've even heard of women who did progesterone for 3 weeks out of the month. Eventually your estrogen levels will also decline. Then there's more adjustment necessary.

I'm sorry if this isn't much help. The thing about hormone replacement is what works for one women doesn't work for all women. It's a matter of finding what works well for you, and doing so with an ever moving target.

• Posted

Yes, I am only on progesterone. I still get my periods, although they are coming every 25 days as opposed to every 28-30 days that they used to.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.