Progestin therapy

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am 63 and have been given oral progestin to thin my uterine lining.  Since March, I have had three moderate periods which I expect should happen since that is what the hormone is supposed to do, but it freaks me out.  I usually spot for a full week and then bleed for another full week.  First two periods came a month apart.  This third one came about six to eight weeks later.  Shouldn't the bleeds be stopping soon?  I am not understanding this process very well.  Please, are there ladies out there who have gone through the same thing?  I have had a clear biopsy....shows proliferative cells.  Ultrasound showed some thickening.

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Debbie, Progestin works to stop bleeding and to make thin the uterus. I would think that as your uterus shrinks it's going to shed causing a period. However, if you're still bleeding since March, have you gone to see your doctor for this or called and ask if this is normal?

• Posted

I would be interested in how progestin works as well. Im starting a 4 months course  for the same reason as you. I asked the gyno if i would bleed, she said i may or may not, so im curious how it will thin my lining if i dont bleed.
  • Posted

I did call the doctor yesterday.  She doesn't believe I should still have a bleed at this point....

• Posted

She doesn't believe I should have a bleed at this point......wants to do a hysterocopy and d and c.  It has me freaked out!  She mentioned looking for a polyp but wouldn't that shed with the lining?  I don't understand.  My biopsy was clear, but I don't know what to think about this.

• Posted

Hi Debbie. Please try not to worry. with any prolonged irregular bleeding, the doctor should do either a transvaginal ultrasound or hysteroscopy - its normal procedure. the hysteroscopy would be the "gold standard" of investigation. d&c i think would be to scrape the womb lining away & probably to take biopsies too. i have had both procedures in the past for irreg bleeding. hysteroscopy revealed a small cyst on uterus. later transvaginal ultrasound cyst could not be seen so it was assumed it had disappeard. apparently cysts in & around uterus are common & can come & go. biopsies were also normal. i am due to have another tv ultrasound in october as the only tthing they still found despite normal biopsies was thicker than normal womb lining (not hugely thicker) & to see current state following 6 mths of hrt.  hope this helps to re-assure you a bit Deb. Your doc is just doing what she should be doing. xx

• Posted

Deb, a polyp is a soft overgrowth of cells, so no it would not shed. I had a D &C done for bleeding and that cure it.  The science is pretty simple, if there's a polyp, you get a D & C, which is a scraping of the lining of the uterus expecting to remove the polyp. The more you know the better you can understand what to expect. The D &C doesn't hurt and it's a procedure done quite often.

• Posted

My biopsy came back clear, i also had a hysterocopy the other day ...she removed a couple of polyps and took a couple more biopsys....she thinks everything is fine so wants me to start progestin to shed the lining. 

She only saw the polyps during the hysterocopy.... which can cause bleeding so maybe you have some too.

• Posted

So in your opinions, a uterine polyp could develop and at some point begin to cause bleeding or spotting or both even if I have not had a period for 9 years or so?
    • Posted

Polyps and fibroids can start bleeding at any time. You said your lining is thicker than it should be...could be a fibroid. A hystocopy is a good idea, that way they can tell whats causing the bleeding.
  • Posted

I appreciate all you ladies 
    • Posted

Can you also tell me if you experienced any slight cramping with your polyps and did the spotting and bleeding hang on for two or three weeks and the suddenly disappear?
    • Posted

Debbie it could be the Progestin thats causing the cramping. I think my bleeding was because of a rogue egg that caused me to have a period. Although i had polyps it was unclear if they were bleeding too.Polyps can cause all the bleeding you discribe. Youve had a scan that showed nothing nasty, just a thick lining and the biopsy didnt detect any bad cells so that is good but the hysterocopy should give you more information as to what is causing the bleeding and put you mind at rest.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.