Progestogen-only contraceptive pill (POP) - what are your experiences?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi ladies,

I need some advice and hope you can help. Quick summary - have longstanding issue with fibroids, was prescribed Esmya (ulipristal acetate) a year ago ahead of hysterectomy, which I took for three months, in the meantime, made significant changes to lifestyle and diet and things settled down and became much more manageable, to the point that I cancelled my scheduled hysterectomy. Scan also showed that fibroids had shrunk and my consultant agreed that if they were no longer causing me problems, then I would do well to wait and see.

Fast forward 6 months later. I've noticed my monthly bleeding getting heavier and clottier, though unlike before, I am not in any pain, which makes me wonder if it is perimenopausal bleeding (I am 48) rather than related to the fibroids. I have been researching the role of progesterone in balancing out hormonal related bleeding and went to the GP for some advice. She started me on desogestrel (Cerelle), which is a progestogen-only pill. I understand that this can cause irregular bleeding and spotting, similar to the Mirena coil when first fitted, but that eventually bleeding is reduced, to the point where 40% of women become completely amenorrhoeic and their periods cease altogether. I have only been taking Cerelle for six days, but I have just finished the most horrendously heavy period (I started taking the pill on day 1). It was so heavy that today my ears are ringing and I feel breathless and weak and I almost fainted on the train to work yesterday.

I know I can't carry on like this, but want to avoid surgery. I wonder if any of you have taken the POP and if this helped you? I can cope with any number of side effects - even irregular spotting - I just want to stop this awful haemorrhaging and avoid constant trips to haematology for iron infusions (which I have every three months).

Thanks in advance,

x

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Thanks dear i will look into it.

• Posted

yes dear i have tried every with no avail mine was like 5 months pregnant but i am now on prostaps injections since december on norestherone yet i still have breakaway bleeding so i use tranexamic acid and mefanemic for inflammentary pains. I wil send you the similar link that you used as well. I am with NHS so i was not using them cause they were in USA i have also heard about Amanda's glad it did worked for you.xx

• Posted

Well done i am also on prostaps injection every 3moths after alternatives would be decided and it did shrink a bit from my last scan. The problem they did saw a cyst in my ovaries but i wont worry to much for now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.