Prognosis

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have just finished twenty sessions of radiotherapy each session lasting about three minutes. I was diagnosed with having prostate cancer with a gleason score of 3+4 and a psa of 26. Also graded with 2ta tumour. Ihave been on hormone treatment for past six month. My psa now reads 0.01 can anyone tell me if i have a good good prognosis as i am in the dark over this with not a lot of information coming my way.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

You need to talk to the team looking after your treatment. All the best. Richard.

• Posted

That's a good question. I know my husband's PSA just came back still undetectable but they never tell us what his Gleason score is if any. I have an appointment with our PCP. Think I'll pick his brain on that one. I hope you get your answer.

• Posted

After having my biopsy I received a full report and assumed. that this was normal as it forms the basis of the suggested treatment that the patient needs to give their approval to. Cheers Richard

• Posted

Why didn't they give you the Gleason score?

As to picking brains, you should pick the urologist's brain and not the PCP as the latter is not an expert. Not that ALL urologists are....

• Posted

it amazes me how anyone with prostate cancer does not take ownership of the situation and search the internet .There is so much reliable information freely available from organisations such as Prostate Cancer UK that one should be able to have a list of questions to fire at their urologist. you MUST insist on full answers and if not happy demand to see another urologist. it is your right. I have consulted no less than 5 in the last three years.

• Posted

Yes its your life take ownership and keep asking until you are satisfied with the answers. Richard

• Posted

You have an excellent prognosis. You do not give your age but the odds of PCa playing a further part in your life are small. I had similar figures a few years ago (my PSA was smaller but moving in the wrong direction and my GS was 4+4) and I opted for radiotherapy. I have never regretted my choice - I have very few side effects and these posts are littered with stories of post-operative problems. Get more information if possible but the hardest thing for you to do right now is try to forget it. I have two PSA tests a year (they are still below 0.5) and have been told not to contact the hospital unless the PSA goes above 4.0.

In short, get on with living your life.

• Posted

I am now 60 so our circumstances are very similar. It takes a while to put it out of your mind but that is what you must do. Get on with whatever you were getting on with before - but with more gusto!

• Posted

It is good that the PSA falls after radiotherapy. Well done to you. Mine did not.

It is better if the PSA stays very low, ideally undetectable long after all treatments have concluded.

This can be followed up with PSA checks every 3 months for many years. The longer it stays low or undetectable, the better the prognosis.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.