Progress or going backwards?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Here I am again, in need of more reassurance. I've now been on 10mg for about a week and a half and now my GP wants me to move to 20mg.

I feel like I'm sort of improving, sort of going backwards. I now feel very panicky throughout the morning and early afternoon, but when the calm comes it feels calmer than before. So bad is worse but better is better if that makes sense. Is this normal?

I'm so scared I will never be back to myself ever again.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Unfortunally this medication can make you feel worse before you settle down and feel normal again and usually it takes weeks for this to happen. In some cases you can feel alot worse. In most cases you WILL feel better although it can be a rough road until you get there. I would encourage you to stick with. Keep reading posts from others on this forum who have the same experience. That will help you know you're not along in this journey. It WILL get better.

• Posted

Hi Marketta why does your Doctor want too increase your medicine./so quickly after you started on the lower dose.That is really odd as i would suggest you stay on 10 mgs for 6/8 weeks and see how you feel and if you feel ok on 10 mgs ,then stay on them,if you don't feel any change then go on to 20mgs.Just remember every time you change dosage then you will get side effect for a little while

• Posted

She just said that 10mg is just the starting dose and normally 20mg is for treatment. Or along those lines. Should I just stick with 10mg then?

• Posted

iam recover on ten .and still taking ten.you can recover on ten.higher doses does not mean quick recovery.best regards

• Posted

HI I think it is far too early to increase and agree with previous replies. Doctors seem to think in a few weeks you will feel better but in fact through experience and what other forum members have said it is months to see a difference. I am on week 9 on 10 mg and just having the odd good day which will hopefully increase. The trouble with increasing is you go through all the side effects again until you have given the first dose time to work and my goodness the side effects are evil. There are lots of good advice on here especially from Katecogs who has been a star in helping many of us. Good luck and hope you feel an improvement soon and you are not alone in this battle. xx

• Posted

Thanks guys, sounds like it is more sensible to stick with 10mg and not go up to 20mg for the time being. I'm just so desperate to feel better and feel like it's totally controlling me now.

• Posted

For sure its a roller coaster for the first few months or so. For now just enjoy the good days and try not to let the bad ones bring you back down (easier said then done I know). You may have good days, hours, etc but it almost feels like it starts doing back downhill which I've found is very typical with these meds. I am on 20 weeks of celexa I started at 10mg and at 5 weeks I increased to 20mg and I have been on that for 15 weeks now and I am just starting to see marked improvement. There are things that I've not had in quite awhile such as panic attacks, depression, but the anxiety I still have some GAD, the dp/dr and intrusive thoughts have gotten better but still have flashes of that now and again but they don't get me as anxious as they did.

It's a long healing process and every person is different as in how long it takes, but it does happen! Just stay positive, and keep persevering!

• Posted

hi

i am on week one of 10 mg of cit

i just switched from sertraline

feeling terrible

no apetite

dizzy feeling off balance

palps

anxious bad

worse when i leave the house

when will feel better

gp said take 10mg for 3 days then move up to 20

but i havent

i have stayed on 10mg day 7 for me

i am not sure if i am getting withdrawal symptoms from sert or cit

plz would appriate some advice plz

jyst wanna feel normal

• Posted

Hi Victoria

I also switched from setraline to cit. Been taking 50 mg setraline for 20 years and last year started to suffer anxiety again. Doctor upped my dose to 100mg and after 15 weeks with no effect switched me straight onto cit 10 mg. Well the first 6 weeks were horrendous with increased anxiety, not sleeping, nausea etc. I am now on my 10th week and seeing a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel. You can have one really good day and then several bad days but from comments on this site it can take many months before the good days outweigh the bad. I would be cautious about upping the dose as 3 days on 10mg is not nearly enough time to see if it is working and going up to 20 so soon could cause even worse side effects. i would suggest trying to ride it out for at least another month.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.