Progress Thread!

Posted , 3 users are following.

So, It's been more than a month since I was diagnosed with type-2 diabetes and I'm doing pretty much fine now. My readings have improved and I'm doing good. I've started a keto diet and progressing with it every day to improve my health.

I would like to know about how much progress y'all have made and how are you keeping up with the condition. Also, share any kind of useful information you can find. Thank you^.^

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hi Stephen, I care for my mother who was diagnosed two years ago and was insulin dependent. Have hope, as there are many things you can do to help yourself! I’ll tell you my experience, as you may find it helpful. 

I was fortunate to have a friend who was diabetic, with who I frequently shared meals. He went on ad-nausium about glcemic indexes, carb counting, sugars, fruit...  Fortunately for my mother I paid attention and immediately implemented dietary changes (extremely difficult with the elderly to get them to eat differently), that helped manage her disease and wean her completely off meds in less than six months.  I was absolutely shocked at her recovery, as I was told she’d “likely always be insulin dependent and would be on diabetes meds for the rest of her life”. I figured it was hopeless but had nothing to lose by trying.  I joked with my mother when I’d remove dugaryvand high carb items from her plate, calling myself the Foid Nazi”. After a few months, her blood levels dropped to prediabetic and have remained stable.

In addition to diet, we also did supplements, herbs, and TCM- Traditional Chinese Medicine with acupuncture.  Oh, and of course, exercise.

I used berberine and citrus bergamot specifically for the diabetes,  as well as oregano oil and other herbs, as she had multiple health problems, including chronic kidney and UTI problems.

Good luck!

• Posted

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 2 years ago.

I find I have to control not only what I eat but when I eat it.

I was always one to skip breakfast. I can't do that now.

I would join Diabetes UK.

I cheat sometimes and eat something I should not but to be honest as long as my blood sugar is down to normal by the next morning I don't worry too much about it.

I am not on insulin but on 2 metformin one a day.

Hope this helps.

Take care and keep in touch

Did you recently write a post in the benefits section?

Sarah

• Posted

I can't really remember whether I wrote a post in benefits section or not.

Also, aren't you scared about high blood sugar levels?! Actually, I've been afraid all this month and I'm strictly trying to keep my blood sugar levels normal and eat only healthy stuff.

I'm on metformin too, 500mg twice a day and it is working for me till now!

I will always be ready to welcome you at DCUK, you can find some really good people who are always ready to help you.

• Posted

Hi,

You need to monitor your blood sugar levels....before eating and two hours after the meal, write down what you eat every day, have a list of recipes and ingredients you use, weigh your food. 

You need to ditch potatoes, pasta, rice, grains, all fruit except berries and eat a low-carb diet. Lots of greens, lentils and beans, small amounts of carbohydrates daily. Soy bean pasta, slim noodles.....no pasta sauces, as they are high in sugars. Small portions.

Exercise is vital...the more active you are the better. Drink plenty of water....no sweets or biscuits. Even diabetic sweets can spike your blood sugar levels....find out by monitoring your blood sugar levels and learn what food you can eat safely.

• Posted

I don't think you did write in benefits section I'm thinking of another stephen.

As I said I tend not to worry about my blood sugar too much as long as it is normal again by the next morning.

I am aware of what I am eating and try to eat healthily but I don't make a big deal about it.

Sarah

• Posted

Brown rice per 75 grams has 55.5 grams of carbohydrate which is high for a diabetic....quinoa mixed with bulgur wheat has 14.2 grams per 100 grams cooked. So....you need to read the labels and count the carbohydrates. Be very selective in your choice....also carbs need to be eaten in small portions. Try to stay away from pasta, rice, potatoes....and go for green vegetables, lean meat and oily fish, salads, soy bean pasta, slim noodles from health shops, bulgur wheat is delicious in salads. Grill, bake, boil....and do not fry often, always use mono-saturated oil like olive oil, rapeseed oil. I hardly touch bread at all...and when I have it is high in whole grains and seeds and only eat a small amount per week. You must learn to keep a vigil eye on your carbohydrates....you would be amazed how high in sugars sauces are. Cholesterol must be kept low as well...the amount of fat you eat needs to be low. Portion sizes need to be small.....berries are fine to eat, but again half a dozen in one sitting, green apples but only a quarter a day so you can have some berries as well.

Exercise.....muscles use glucose, walking, cycling, swimming. Any form of exercise is good....and if you need to get rid of some weight then watch carefully what you eat.

• Posted

Hi folks, I’ve been reading this thread, as my mother is diabetic.

However, I struggle with thyroid disease and have noticed I frequently have severe sensitivity to sugar.  Also, in recent blood tests, my blood sugar numbers were slightly elevated, which I thought was due to the thyroid medication...

I started reading through the posts on pancreatitis and realized I may have had chronic pancreatitis for many years but my diet and exercise were so good I never realized... in January I was feeling horrible (yes, some sugary things at Christmas), I read up on chronic pancreatitis and tried a rice fast and was shocked at how quickly it worked! Then I started taking digestive enzymes and I’ve been feeling so much better!

I realized with pancreatitis that if the digestive enzymes aren't getting to the food in the gut... the sugar doesn’t get properly digested and basically gets dumped into my system whole, which would elevated blood sugar.

Has anyone run across a the connection between pancreatitis and diabetes? Seems like it would be an important thing to look at, right? 

I mean, here we all are spinning around in circles trying to get a perfect diet, when really, the major source of the problem could be something else. 

• Posted

Hi,

The pancreas is responsible for the insulin and is a major player in diabetes as well as the liver. So, both of them are affected by the increase in fat and sugar. We normally associate pancreatitis with lots of drinking.....not anymore. Sugar can do the same damage to the pancreas and to the liver....

I have an under active thyroid too, and now I have hypothyroidism....have been living with it for ten years. If you change your diet drastically and lower your sugar intake considerably, cut out the wheat, watch the fat....lots of vegetables and lean meat, your energy levels will rise. I can not tell you what a blessing has been for me, a vast improvement. I exercise, walk a lot, swim.....

• Posted

Hi Dani, it seems that the belief is pancreatitis is caused by drug and alcohol abuse. However, a sluggish liver due to slow metabolism and hypothyroid could yield similar conditions that lead to pancreatitis. A twisted duct  is a possible culprit. I know someone who actually died from pancreatitis with no known cause. Reading the many online posts, the majority of them do not drink or do drugs and have very good diets. I’m very strict gluten free. Paleo style, nothing processed. But it isn’t enough. The white rice fast was really a desperate attempt since nothing else worked. Glad it was a success. 
    • Posted

I am really glad for you for managing it well....I had a biopsy on my liver some years ago and the consultant kept asking me if i take drugs, drink....he never believed me I think. I never took drugs in my life and hardly touch the drink....yet, I have a fatty liver without carrying a lot of weight around with me, I had my gallbladder out years ago. I agree with you about the diet....the fat is really the culprit. A plant base diet, eating whole foods, organic also helps.
  • Posted

So, the moderators did it again and deleted my reply!!! I really don't understand what's wrong with them. Man, WTF is wrong?

• Posted

Easy tiger.....why don't you tell me about your latest HDL, LDL, cholesterol, HbA1c tests results.

• Posted

Hi Stephen, they tend to delete long posts that have too much technical information, web links... or anything that’s too technical and they don’t want to verify. Sometimes they delete information history of certain drugs... not sure why when in that case the drug was so bad that the NYTimes had a series on it and the unethical behavior of related drug companies...

I’m on the thyroid threads and initially they deleted the posts on gluten free diet. They delete things that aren’t considered mainstream. Now gf considered standard best thyroid health diet. So those posts are fine.

I’m in California and cleansing is commonplace here, but if I post anything on cleansing, it gets deleted lickity-split!  

• Posted

Haha, I'm in control, It just p****d me off how they delete my comments. This should be healthy community and people should be allowed to share information just like DCUK. They are a big platform and they should behave like one. Also, my last HbA1c is pretty good, It was 50 mmol/mol, It is getting better as last time I remember it was 52. So, yeah I'm doing fine. I'll reach 48 mmol/mol soon!

• Posted

This is wrong! Why make a community when you won't allow the members to talk and share information. Especially when members are comfortable with each other and sharing information.

• Posted

Happy for you....keep going. Like with everything else in life we need to conform to rules and regulations.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.