Progressive Conditions: DLA/PIP - Why do some people have face-to-face interviews and some do not?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi All,

This question is often asked, because people do not think it is fair why some claiments do not have face-to-face interviews and yet others end up appealing many times, and still lose their cases.

This is a quote taken from the Independant Newspaper last October.

"(A DWP spokesman said: “It’s not fair to write someone off as unable to work if they are at the early stages of a progressive condition - and many people welcome support to prepare for work if they feel able to. If the effects of someone’s condition are considered severe enough based on their application and evidence, they will not be required to attend a face-to-face assessment. Our reforms support people into work where they are able, instead of writing them off.”)"

Therefore, you're if your condition is considered severe enough which is based mainly on your application and evidence, the chances of a face-to-face is lowered greatly. There is a list which DWP Classes as severe, as far as I am aware this list is only about 5 disorders, but depending on all the details you give them from a day to day report will give you a better chance of getting the full award, even if you fall outside these listed conditions.

Here is the main reason why this happens

In your Guidance Book that you receive with your DLA or PIP Claim Form, you will see in there (make sure you read it all), this is imperative to your claim and can be the managing factor of an interview or not, or even lose your case before even applying.

With DLA or PIP Claims many people seem to think they need a full copy of their medical records, this is not always the case - but would be an advantage on your behalf. The problem with this is, you can expect to pay upto £73.00 or more, depending on the amount of the information - this is not an instant ticket to winning an award. Years ago you could request your medical records and it was totally free, I remember getting mine, but back then they were not Volumes of Reports! eek

Accuracy and Expression to Detail

Your main prerogative now is getting the Award Form filled in correctly. To be honest, a professional person that knows you would be ideal, this could be an Occupational Therapist, a District Nurse, Social Worker, etc. Some people have also used CAB, this seems to get mixed views mainly because the person that is filling the form for you, does not know your health and how it affects you on a daily basis, or the handwriting is another problem which ATOS or the DWP has noticed in previous claims.

Filling in the Claim Form

Treat this as your whole claim in one, by this I don't mean fill it in without even thinking about what your putting on paper, and whatever you do - DO NOT RUSH filling the claim form in, this will get you no where any quicker, and will possibly lose your claim on your first attempt.

If you have access to a photocopy machine, then photocopy the form prior to filling it in.

Once, all the aforementioned is done, then re-read the Guidelines for the first part, and remember this, some questions may sound like you should put the same answer in. STOP and recheck it, the Award/Claim never asks the same question twice. This is why you should start a Claim on a photocopy first, this will allow you to see your mistakes before you send it to the DWP.

If a question you come across only as tick boxes for Yes or No, and you have much more you can add, then write it either on the same page or start attaching extra sheets of paper containing more detail.

Detailed Answers is your way of getting

It is no good stating I got, an example: Dystonic disorders

Dystonic disorders has many variations, and require many different medications. You need to fill the form in with as much detail as possible, Consultants that would help your claim, and your doctor (this is where charges may apply, depending on them).

Photocopy All Documents You send to the DWP

Before sending your claim form in to the DWP, make sure you Photocopy everything for your records.

Do not cut corners if you suffer from a condition, and a certain disorder is not part of it, but you have a proven fact that you also suffer from it, making your main disorder even harder to deal with, then note it down.

Your Main Target

Whether it is PIP or DLA, remember one thing - you must detail every single problem, regardless of how futile you think it could be.

If for any reason your award is rejected, then appeal - the DWP does not like this at all, but a genuine disabled person is not going to give up their right to a benefit which they are entitled to, the sooner the DWP realizes this, the better.

Regards,

Les.

2 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Update: 26/03/2015

This affects ESA / PIP & DLA Claims Renewals and new Claims

It seems the DWP are now missing forms and missing medicals, to which you can now add missing professional qualifications.

Keep this in mind when making New Claims or a Renewal. There is the option of making claims online for ESA/PIP and DLA, however this is not recommended to do your claim here is the reason why:

Since, Maximus has now joined you will encounter the following if claiming online:

1. Boxes for additional information has shrunk, therefore making it more difficult to add detailed descriptions.

2. Never send in any Award Application Form to the DWP without photocopying it first, this has been emphasised, because Claim forms are going missing.

The average waiting period until an Assessment should be no longer than 2 months, if you have waited longer than this period then contact the DWP to see if your application has been dealt with yet.

• Posted

I don't understand the forms to fill them in rite how do they know what you do on a daily basis when they don't live your life for you
    • Posted

Hi,

You complete the Award Form as if you were having a very bad day, which would depend on what you suffer from. Obviously, if your disorder or problems vary from day to day then you would put for example:

I have "Intermittent pain in my back, either right, left or wherever it is located. Then you put the type of pain if any any, like: a sharp pain, a dull pain, but in all cases I have to take my prescribed painkillers, etc".

The more you detail the problem the better, some people may say they need Physiotherapy every week to release pain, however this only takes the edge off the pain.

All the questions are different, even though they may look the same, or you put the same answer. This is where you can fall in to a trap, and if you are not sure what to put please be careful.

Whatever you do, do not complete the PIP or DLA forms online, you will be limiting yourself to what you can put on the form, andd the DWP have made the text boxes smaller so you cannot add further details. A written one is much better because you can detail complex disorders or problems.

If you require further help let me know.

Regards,

Les.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.