Project Research on Menopause

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello! I am Graphic Design student in my final year doing a project on women's menopause. It would really benefit my research to collect some information from women that have gone through // going through it. So here is what i'm looking into: 

I want to give women the power and control over heat fluctuations, therefore I am looking at designing a range of clothes using smart textiles to regulate body heat. 

What are peoples thoughts on this? 

Any personal stories on heat fluctuations that could be shared would be extremely helpful. Or even advice on if this would be beneficial to women going through menopause. 

I would really appreciate any comments // negative or positive to get some research from potential users.

Thank you!

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Being perfectly honest, when I am having a hot flash, even being completely naked doesnt relieve the heat it makes you feel. I've tried loose, natural fabric clothes to no avail so I dont know if it is actually possible to design clothes to help the hot flushes. Good luck though. I'll be following your progress to see how you do! X

• Posted

Thank you for the honest answer, I don't see why talking about menopause is such a touchy subject, certainly hasn't been in my family so I really appreciate it. I was looking in to designing either bed wear e.g. loose fitting nighties, vests OR bedding, pillow cases, sheets and duvet covers. 

The smart textiles helps maintain and regulate body temperature by storing heat within it’s fibres. It then releases it back when required. Tiny microcapsules are integrated into the fibres of the material and are completely safe. These 

microcapsules sense a fluctuation in temperature and absorb excess heat from the body, thus cooling it. 

Does anyone think that this range would be of interest?

Thanks again for the help, as I really need to gather information from people in the know to create something effective for the users needs.

• Posted

I like the idea for having more cooling fabric around me at night. I sleep with a gel type pillow which seems to help. I also keep a fabric bag filled with rice on my pillow which also helps as well. For whatever reason it stays cool and when pressed against my face it really helps. The thought of cooking nightwear or sheets and pillow cases is definitely a plus!! Looking forward to your ideas taking shape. Good luck and thank you for taking an interest in menopausel woman. We need more chatter and help out theresmile
    • Posted

Lol, that was supposed to say cooling not cooking🤣

• Posted

Your ideas about bedding that can distribute heat better is of great interest as one of the most common problems in meno is constantly having to throw off covers then getting cold again and having to put them back over you it wakes you up multiple times per night. Then if you sweat aswell there is making the covers damp then you get the chills when the sweat cools and all you get is an already damp cover back on. Nightwear is also a total pain because with peri and full meno you can get some very strange sensations with your skin. Tingling, numbness, crawling, and sharp electric shock like jolts anywhere on your body. I have a problem with anything touching me at the moment my body is so hypersensitive. But definitely the bedding if it worked could help some ladies to get some sleep and be a bit more comfortable whilst doing it. I shall watch your progress with interest. All the best X
    • Posted

Loving what you're doing! I am especially interested in the bedding, as I am both oveeheated/sweaty and then chilled/shivering within 10 minutes of each....4 to 5 times nightly! Make it scented!

• Posted

This is great information, thank you so much! 

Please stay on this forum so I can share more info with you as this has been super helpful and really care to hear insight from potential users biggrin

• Posted

I think nightwear and bedding is deffo the way forward then. Thank you so much! Please stay on this forum so I can share more info with you as this has been super helpful and really care to hear insight from potential users biggrin 
    • Posted

Perfect, thank you for the insight and support! Please stay on this forum so I can share more info with you as this has been super helpful and really care to hear insight from potential users biggrin
  • Posted

Hi pbrown, I am a graphic designer too. But I am 48 and graduated while ago. Good luck with your project&research. This is more of a product design rather than GD but still it is great if you can help menapause ladies. I myself don't have hot flashes during the day. But I have it during the night at around my cycle. Perhaps some pj's or nighties or bedding can help. But again this is all very internal and not sure if clothing design will help much. Like one of the ladies mentioned even being naked doesn't stop it. How about designing something to help women's cooling when they have hot flashes? Good luck -Best wishes

• Posted

Amazing, thank you for your help, I am in the middle of designing a website for the brand, i've come up with the brand HOT, a play on words for HRT. I've also designed a range of nightwear clothing that I envision being sold in places like M&S, Next, House of Fraser ect. I know I can't solve the problem of hot flushes, however if I can contribute to regulating body temperate using smart textiles for those who don't want to sleep naked is what my aim is.

What does everyone think of the logo I have for the brand?

And some of the clothing I have designed for it?

Thanks for all the help!

• Posted

LOVE LOVE LOVE your brand HOT. Love the colours and the way you played around with the 'O' hOme etc. Very well done. Your products look lOvely TOO!  I hope it goes well. Isn't graphic design great fun! Have a good day. I just have a question. What made you think about MENAPAUSE? Thank you

• Posted

You have made my day! Thank you so much for your support and extra feedback. Its really great to get your input from the branding and designs.

Graphic Design is fab but for some reason I still don't see myself as a 'Graphic Designer' more so just as a 'Designer', like to keep a broad name I think. I'm graduating this summer, so have to try figure out my plans after uni pretty quickly!

I would say I thought of Menopause because my mum is going through it and she has really struggled with heat fluctuations, I guess that initially inspired me. However I love to design work to help benefit the user, so trying to make change is always in the back of my mind. 

What sort of Graphic Design do you do?

• Posted

Hi, I think perhaps it is wiser to call yourself as a designer since it is broader. And I can see that you have more to offer than just a graphic designer. It is very thoughtful of you to do something to help your mum and other ladies. Let's hope you don't suffer as much as your mother suffers when the time comes for you. Hopefully medicine also be improved and there will be much more understanding about meno by then.

I am a 'graphic information designer'. I particularly like designing big documents. I just love graphic design. All the best to you in your future.

• Posted

Thanks for everything and the positive responses you've given me. Oh great, thats exciting. All the best back biggrin

• Posted

Cleverr!!! I love the name, logo AND ther designs!! Cute n comfy looking st once!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.