Prolapse and smears

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi everyone. Right let's start this off with I'm 27, 2 children. Fairly easy pregnancies. First child at 19.

Self diagnosed a vaginal prolapse two years a go now. Finding it very hard to pluck up the courage to book s doctors appointment. I think it's stage 2-3. Learnt to try and deal with it as best as I can. Still finding it very very hard.

Worst part of this is I've never had a smear test because I am absolutely terrified. I can't express how terrified I am. I need to know if a smear test can be done with a prolapse, how will I warn them it's there. Oh it's just so scary and embarrassing. Thought about going private to get my prolapse looked at so someone is dealing with me straight away and know what to expect,

Would really appreciate any advice please. Thanks x

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Do you it would help you if you saw your GP first about the 'prolapse' & also explained how nervous you are about having a smear. 
    • Posted

Yes I think that's s good idea. I may ring and ask for a female doctor. I have very personal issues with having to show down there and this is why I'm so scared. Not that it will hurt, it's just very uncomfortable for me to make that step.

Thanks for replying, means a lot to talk to others about this!

• Posted

At my GP surgery we have a Nurse who runs the Smear test clinic. I hope you find the courage to make an appointment. I hope you get on ok on Monday. 
  • Posted

Charlotte,

I had my annual PAP smear this past December on my birthday and the PA doing the smear was shocked to see that I had a large almost protruding rectocele. She said can't you feel that and are you having any symptoms? Turns out that all of the lower back pain, abdominal bloating, and difficulty pooping were related to this and I had no idea. I just thought these were "growing old" symptoms! LOL Happy Birthday to me!!

When the PA did the smear, she had to lift the prolapse out of the way to get to the area for the smear. It was uncomfortable but didn't cause any bleeding or problems. It was just slightly more painful than the usual little pinch that you feel.

You will be fine to have this annual smear done and please don't continue to skip them. They are so important for early cervical cancer detection. I have always had an annual PAP done since my late 20's after having babies. When I was 35 my gyn joked as she was doing the PAP that she knew it would be fine because it always was perfect every year. That was the year that it came back positive for cervical cancer. The smear saved my life because it was a very aggressive cancer and had I waited another few months or year it would have been untreatable stage 4 cancer. It was surgically removed and I never ever miss a smear. Don't be at all embarrassed by your prolapse. Those docs have seen it all!  Take care.

Lisa

• Posted

Thank you so much for this reply, it's really helped me understand what happens with having a smear with a prolapse. Thinking I will book an appointment about the prolapse then say how scared I am about having the smear.

You really have helped me see how important it is to have s smear. I jus need the confidence to make this appointment and I hope I can, I really do!!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.